H. G. WELLS' VICTORIAN VISIONS:
- The Century Club
This salon is part of the Science Fiction Series at London's exclusive Century Club
In this talk, historian Dr Sherborne will put Wells’s scientific romances into the context of his versatile career as an author, explaining how he came to write books such as The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds and considering what understanding of life lies behind them. Sherborne will then examine how a hundred years after they were written Wells’s futuristic visions may have dated but remain compelling.
Dr Michael Sherborne
Michael Sherborne is the author of the biography HG Wells: Another Kind of Life. A vice-president of the HG Wells Society, he has written, lectured and broadcast widely on all aspects of Wells’s life and work. He has also written Advanced Level study guides on Shakespeare, Orwell and Huxley, as well as two comic novels. In 2018, he won the Shaw Society Playwriting Award with a humorous one-act play about Brexit.
Soho Series at the Century
|18:30 - 20:30||£12.00|
The Century Club, 61 - 63, Shaftesbury Avenue, London, W1D 6LQ
Piccadilly Circus (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.