Tortoise Lates: Words
- No reviews.
- Tortoise Media Studio
An evening of conversation, ideas and entertainment, new and exclusively at Tortoise Media.
English: one language with a billion native speakers and countless ways to speak it.
Tortoise Lates is a live studio recording. Doors open at 6pm for a 6.15pm start. If you arrive late, we will show you to your seat during the first interval.
Part one: How do we say what we mean?
There are about 600,000 words in the English language, and yet finding the right words for the perfect situation or emotion can be difficult - especially as language changes and words and their meanings evolve. The right words can summon powerful emotions, bring down governments or inspire generations - so why do we get them wrong so often?
Join us for a ThinkIn with Susie Dent, author, lexicographer extraordinaire, and Queen of Countdown's Dictionary Corner as we find the right words for the right time, covering any emotional, political, or social situation.
Part two: The Tortoise Interview with Wretch 32
Wretch 32 is one of the most influential musicians at work in Britain today. He is also a lyricist of unparalleled ability, and an advocate of music as a tool to educate as well as to entertain. In an age of unprecedented social and political change, Wretch’s music stands as a medium of protest and of progress, helping to explain and shape a new era.
His recent book, Rapthology, is part autobiography, part cultural history, and part guide to the craft of lyric writing.
In this Tortoise Interview, we explore the use of words and language in song and rap lyrics. What makes a song work? What element causes us to stop, listen, and listen again? Is it a melody? Is it a beat? Is it the words that are sung, or spoken? Is it what they speak to within us or is it a combination of all of the above?
An in-person ticket to join us in our Newsroom for our exclusive new event for an evening of exciting conversation, ideas and entertainment.
|18:00 - 21:00
Tortoise Media Studio, 22, Berners Street, London, W1T 3LP
Tottenham Court Road (Tube)
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.