Antonio Forcione Solo Show
- No reviews.
- Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club
From the first moment Antonio walks on stage to rapturous applause, a humble smile on his face, guitar in hand, you know you are in the presence of a true artist and are in for an evening with a touch of magic. And as the first deep, warm, intense notes float through the auditorium, you can hear a pin drop and feel the sonic spell of his guitar weaving through the room. As one critic put it “Imagine an Italian hybrid of Michael Hedges, John McLaughlin and Django Rheinhardt ... ferocious, rampaging, controlled power, meticulous precision and clarity of expression ... astonishing musical personality”
Antonio’s impressive 20 albums and extensive international tours in festivals and theatres - both as a solo artist, in duo and with his acoustic quartet – have brought high critical acclaim from as far as Australia and Hong Kong to the Caribbean, Russia and all over Europe. He has the ‘hands of a tarantula and the heart of a lion,' as another critic so expressively phrased it!
Antonio’s numerous awards line the shelf above the piano in his west London home, a far cry from his humble beginnings in a small village in southern Italy from where he worked his way through art school, eventually performing on the streets of London to win the Covent Garden Street Entertainer of the Year Award. This led straight to a BBC TV appearance and a European tour. He hasn’t looked back since, nor has he ever forgotten his roots. If you listen closely to his compositions you can feel the nostalgia for the village, the olive groves, the dusty streets and the first loves of a young boy.
Having completed his well-received album ‘Sketches of Africa’ he is now focusing on Cuba where he is collaborating with artists such as Pancho Amat, Alejandro Martinez and Jorge Luis Chicoy for his next album. This also includes his involvement in a music-documentary film which he’s currently working on.
Late 2016 he released “Compared to What” which was an incredible collaboration with Sarah Jane Morris. They have been described as an acoustic Jimi Hendrix and a politicised Janis Joplin. Audiences have been attracted to the strength and artistry of a unique pairing. They have been touring all over Europe and cover a broad spectrum of music from Acoustic Soul to African Blues, from Motown to Township. This formidable pairing is unique and can bring laughter and tears.
Previous albums include collaborations with fellow performers such as Charlie Haden, Trilok Gurtu, Kay Eckhardt, Sabina Sciubba, Claudio Roditi, Rossana Casale..
Artistic, intense and formidably inventive, Antonio is a performer of genuine distinction. Ever unpredictable, his is a celebration of the unexpected elements in life, a music of rare delicacy, humour and, not least, passion.
Doors Open 1 Hour before Start Time
|20:30 - 23:00||£25.00|
Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club, 140 Newington Butts, SE11 4RN
1) Admission tickets are non-refundable within 72 Hours of the event as standard.
2) Live Stream tickets are not eligible for refunds. Your live stream can be viewed at a later time if you are unable to watch it live.
3) If you are unable to attend you are welcome to transfer them to a friend in your name.
4) Please check your tickets are correct for the event you are attending as changes cannot be made
5) On busy nights small groups of 1-2 people may be required to share your table with one other small group.
6) Seating is unreserved and on a 1st come, 1st served basis; please arrive early if you have a preference.
7) Once the performance has begun, we reserve the right to fill any empty seats with people who are on our waiting list or at the door. Late arrivals will still be permitted however you may be asked to stand at the back until seating can be provided at such time.
8) Certain events require a non-talking or quiet audience. You may be asked to leave or move to the outdoor terrace should you wish to talk to avoid disrupting the experience of our other attendees.
9) Video Recording & Photography is encouraged. Please refrain from using flashes or strong lights as they risk harming our performers.
10) Attendees under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult unless the event is strictly for over 18.
11) We operate a Check-21. If you are lucky enough to appear younger than 21 you may be asked for photographic ID.
12) Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the performer or promoter for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled you will be emailed to provide you the option to attend a rescheduled date or request a full refund.
13) Tickets are sold subject to the promoter's or performer's right to alter or vary the programme due to the events or circumstances beyond their control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
14) The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of patrons.
15) The promoter & venue management accepts no responsibility for any personal property.