Fashion & Cinema: Alexandra Byrne
- No reviews.
- The Soho Hotel
Our Fashion & Cinema series 'Life Journeys' continues with Oscar-winning costume designer Alexandra Byrne. Led by curator Keith Lodwick, an ‘In Conversation’ will explore Alexandra’s elaborate career and costume designs, from Shakespeare to superheroes. Best known for the costumes behind period dramas including Kenneth Branagh’s Hamlet 1996 which saw Kate Winslet as Ophelia, Autumn de Wilde's Emma 2020 and the film that won Alexandra her Oscar, Elizabeth: The Golden Age 2007.
The ‘In Conversation' will be followed by a showing of Alexandra’s chosen film Elizabeth 1998 in our screening room. Directed by Shekhar Kapur, this year marks the 25th anniversary of the film which won Cate Blanchett her first Oscar. All tickets include a glass of wine or soft drink on arrival.
Costume designer Alexandra Byrne trained as an architect before studying Theatre Design at the English National Opera under the legendary Margaret Harris. She has worked extensively in television and theatre, both as a set and costume designer. Her credits also include Phantom of the Opera 2004, 300: Rise of an Empire 2014 and Murder on the Orient Express 2017. Alexandra has received Oscar nominations for costumes in titles including Elizabeth 1998 and Finding Neverland 2004. Following Hamlet 1996, Alexandra worked with Kenneth Branagh again on Thor 2011, her first production with Marvel which won the Saturn Award. Most recently Alexandra designed the costumes for ‘Empire of Light’, directed by Sam Mendes. Alexandra is currently designing costumes for Frederick Ashton’s Cinderella with the Royal Ballet.
Keith Lodwick is a curator, writer, and historian. He is the former Curator of Theatre and Screen Arts at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. At the V&A, Keith curated Vivien Leigh: Public Faces, Private Lives and was the V&A assistant curator for the major exhibition Hollywood Costume, one of the most successful exhibitions in the museum’s history. Keith has contributed to a wide range of publications including Oliver Messel: In the Theatre of Design, Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty and Shoe Reels: The History and Philosophy of Footwear in Film.
FASHION & CINEMA
Launched in 2012, Fashion & Cinema is a series of events created and produced by Tristana Media including film screenings, on-stage conversations and talks exploring the relationship between fashion and cinema as well as the work of costume designers.
In Conversation, Film & Three-course Dinner
Includes a glass of wine on arrival, 'In Conversation', film screening and a three course dinner at Refuel Restaurant.
|16:15 - 21:30||£70.00|
In Conversation & Film
Includes a glass of wine on arrival, 'In Conversation' and film screening.
|16:15 - 21:30||£35.00|
The Soho Hotel, 4, Richmond Mews, London, W1D 3DH
Tottenham Court Road (Tube)
Getting thereCitymapper Google Maps
Firmdale Hotels, The Soho Hotel
More from Firmdale Hotels
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight WFL Media Ltd and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.