RSA House is a charming Georgian Town House in the heart of Central London which has the perfect balance of traditional style with exciting modern twists. The house has unique and contrasting spaces from high ceilings, bright rooms and traditional art work to the immense brick exposed vaults which have…
Art Breath x RSA In conversation with Michael Landy
- No reviews.
- RSA House
Join us on Wednesday 13 March at the RSA for an evening with Michael Landy, CBE, RA.
The talk will cover Michael Landy’s body of work and artistic journey, from his time studying at Goldsmiths in the late 1980’s, being part of the Freeze exhibition in 1988 at London’s docklands, to a set of works which explore the notion of value, destruction, labour, worth, issues of consumerism, ownership and the commodification of art, such as Closing Down Sale 1992 , Scrapheap Services 1995, Break Down 2001 - in which Landy catalogued and destroyed all his worldly belongings - as well as Art Bin 2010 for which he constructed an enormous Perspex cube at South London Gallery and asked people to discard artworks they own. Landy's recent works have also explored themes relating to media imagery and social-political symbolism and language, such as Breaking News 2015-2017 and Welcome to Essex 2021, as well as projects inviting contributions from the public, such as Acts of Kindness 2011-2012, for which the artist appealed to members of the public to submit stories on kindness, which were displayed on London Underground Stations.
Michael Landy will be in conversation with Nour Saleh.
This event is free, but booking is essential.
Michael Landy was born in London in 1963, where he lives and works. Landy attended Goldsmiths College, London in 1988.
Selected solo and group shows include: Welcome to Essex, Firstsite, Colchester, England 2021; Scaled- Down, Thomas Dane Gallery, London, England 2018; Open for Business at the first Riga International Biennial of Contemporary Art 2018; DEMONSTRATION, The Power Plant, Toronto, Canada 2017- 18; Breaking News, Sperone Westwater, New York NY 2017; Breaking News – Athens, Neon/Diplarios School, Athens, Greece 2017; Out of Order, Museum Tinguely, Basel, Switzerland 2016; Saints Alive, National Gallery, London, England 2013; Michael Landy: Four Walls, Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester, England 2013; Art World Portraits, National Portrait Gallery, London, England 2011; Art Bin, South London Gallery, London, England 2010.
Selected public collections include: Tate Collection, London; the Arts Council England; Centre Pompidou, Paris, France; Museum of Modern Art, New York NY; Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia; Royal Academy, London; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis MN. Landy was elected as a Royal Academician in May 2008 and received a CBE Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 2021.
Art Breath x RSA
The arts may help us reflect, recognise and speak together on matters that affect us, join us
for Art Breath x RSA a series of events to hear from creatives who through either their art, lens, brushstrokes, minds, pens, music or digital tools will share their work, perspectives, concerns and hopes. A gathering to share art and connect us, exploring together how the arts can raise awareness on certain notions and issues, and even create change. For more information about Art Breath: www.artbreath.org. Instagram: @artbreathorg @noursalehs. X: @artbreath_
Taking part in RSA in-person events
To participate in this event, you will need to register for a ticket for capacity purposes. If you have any questions, or to let us know of any access requirements, or reasonable adjustments you require, please email email@example.com.
By registered for this event you consent to receive communications about this event. both before and after, and you agree to receive information on further events at RSA House. You also agree to sharing your name with Fellows and/or partner organisations hosting this event.
Please note, registrations will close 24hrs before the event is due to start.
|18:00 - 20:00
8, John Adam Street, WC2N 6EZ
Covent Garden (Tube)
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight WFL Media Ltd and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.