Located right on Hoxton Square, this hip joint is where to come for a Shoreditch shakedown. This sunken bar and outdoor terrace attracts a huge mix of people coming for delicious food and great drinks. As well as being a great place to grab an after work drink and welcome the weekend with a late night…
Don’t Panic, I’m Islamic: Extreme Comedy NOW!
- Hoxton Square Bar and Kitchen
- No reviews.
3 Participants. 2 Judges. 1 Visa Approval. (And many levels of hilarity in between, inshallah!)
How can you tell if your neighbour is speaking Muslim? Is a mosque a kind of hedgehog? Can I get fries with that burka? You can’t trust the media any longer, but there’s no need to fret: this gameshow will answer all your questions.
Join us as contestants Omar Hamdi, Esther Manito and Amrou Al-Kadhi battle it out to win a visa. They will be judged on their wit and words by Bidisha and Karl Sharro (AKA, Karl Remarks) as they fulfil various challenges, including answering green card application questions, delivering Fox News-approved headlines in the style of Sean Spicer and performing stand up.
Who will be allowed to stay and who will be sent home in shame (electronics in hold)?
This event will mark the launch of the satirical collection, Don’t Panic I’m Islamic: Words and Pictures on How to Stop Worrying and Learn to Love the Alien Next Door, published by Saqi Books in partnership with Arts Council England and the Arab British Centre.
Omar Hamdi is a Welsh-Egyptian TV presenter, comedian and writer. He has performed at festivals and events around the world and won a BAFTA among other awards.
Esther Manito is an up and coming Lebanese-British comedian. She has been listed as ‘One to watch’ 2016 by Funny Women and will be performing stand-up at Edinburgh Fringe this summer.
Amrou Al-Kadhi is a British-Iraqi writer, performer, filmmaker and drag queen. He performs with musical comedy drag troupe Denim, and is currently working on a comedy TV series and a feature film which are in development with Channel 4 and the BBC.
Bidisha is a writer, journalist and broadcaster specialising in social justice, international affairs, gender and the arts. She is a Trustee of the Booker Prize Foundation.
Karl Sharro is an architect, satirist and commentator on the Middle East. His blog Karl reMarks has been featured in The Guardian, The Economist, The Wall Street Journal and Al-Jazeera to name but a few.
Produced by Tamsyn Kelly.
seated (unreserved. Seats will be allocated on a first come, first served basis).
|19:30 - 22:30||£8.50|
2-4 Hoxton Square N1 6NU
Old Street (Tube)
2-4 Hoxton Square N1 6NU
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.
Thanks for your review. You've earned 10 points! Check your balance here.