Something A Little Different, Theatre/Arts, Walks & Tours
Butterfly setting and preservation in the cemetery with Suzette Field
Suzette Field introduces you to the fascinating world of insect taxidermy. For over 300 years, entomologists and collectors have mounted butterflies and other insects for taxonomic reference or to create breathtaking visual displays. Such collections can be found lurking in museum archives and are often kept in meticulous condition in display cases and cabinets.
There has been a recent renaissance in the use of insect displays in art (most notably in the work of Damien Hirst) and this class will introduce you to the skills and techniques used in setting butterflies. You will leave with own set butterflies and there will be an opportunity to discuss further display options for any projects you have in mind.
The workshop will begin with a talk on the biology of insects with further instruction on the hydration, setting, pinning and drying of specimens.
This is a beginners' course with no experience required and you will be able to take the set butterflies you create home with you as a souvenir.
Each ticket includes a delightful gin cocktail and a 20% donation towards a host of restoration projects at Brompton Cemetery.
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.