The Backyard Comedy Club in Bethnal Green is a great night out with some of the top comics from around the world! The club's Thursday night show features upcoming comedians and usually one or two special guests who are kept secret until the evening of the show, while it's Friday and Saturday shows…
Nerd Nite London Livestream - April 2020
- No reviews.
- Backyard Comedy Club
NERD NITE LONDON, WHERE IT’S HIP TO BE SQUARE.
We will be running this month's Nerd Nite as an online livestream, with an accompanying whatsap group where people can ask questions and interact with each other throughout the show.
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along. This April we're finding out how magic mushrooms can save the world, how we can build things with animals in mind and how Artificial Intelligence can help combat money laundering.
Be there and be square.
Details: April 15th, 2020
Tickets: Early Nerd Tickets £4, General Admission £5, - with all proceeds going to the Hackney Foodbank.
The stream will go live at 7pm, with the speakers starting at 7.30pm.
Benji Waterstones is a psychiatrist. As well as acting as an NHS ‘guide’ helping depressed patients navigate psychedelic trips towards happiness for research at Imperial College London.
Animal Centered Design - “humm I’d never thought about it, but now that you mention it…”
UX design does not stop with humans; although based on how it has developed so far you would think this was the case. For the last 6 years Luisa has been expanding the scope of the users she designs for to include animals; with her current work focusing on improving the welfare and performance of assistance dogs through the design of canine-centric devices. In her talk she will introduce you to the nascent field of Animal Centered Design and share a few lessons learnt in her quest to understand the animal user.
Luisa is a UX designer currently completing a PhD in Animal Computer Interaction. She has worked across many industries, countries, start-ups and design studios helping create compelling user experiences. She fills her time in quarantine by analysing the usability of her designs through frame by frame playback of dogs’ interactions with her designs; and, is thoroughly enjoying the city’s newly found sense of stillness. Follow her at @animalcentered.
AI to the rescue! How Machine Learning can be a game-changer for anti-money laundering efforts.
Money laundering is defined as „processing the profits of criminal acts to disguise their illegal origin”. Official statistics from the UN estimate that between USD 800 billion and 2 trillion are being laundered each year – almost all of it through the global financial system. It makes you wonder whether anyone out there (except you, of course) is doing anything non-criminal.
But AI can help! Where currently human analysts have to pore over countless complex and convoluted transactions (most of which turn out to be legit), Machine Learning algorithms can pick up the slack and analyse the data orders of magnitude faster, detecting patterns humans could miss. They are indefatigable, don’t get bored, and let analysts focus on more challenging activities.
Wojtek will tell you how AI can help in the fight against money laundering, and why it can make a huge difference.
By day, Wojtek works in Investment Compliance Advisory for a large investment manager in London, where he looks after emerging technologies, including AI. By night (literally…), he is a PhD student in Cambridge researching ethics and applications of Artificial Intelligence in Financial Services. He thinks that using AI to make criminals’ lives harder is pretty awesome, and he’ll try to sell you on that.
More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook www.facebook.com/nerdnitelondon or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com.
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 08:48||£4.00|
|19:00 - 08:48||£5.00|
Concessions prices apply for the following groups: Students, OAP, Unemployed, Disabled, Librarians, Teachers, NHS.
|19:00 - 21:00||£4.00|
231, Cambridge Heath Road, E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.