- No reviews.
Writing is a solitary activity, but you don’t have to go it alone.
Hove Writers meet on (most) Mondays in the peaceful space of the Rockwater Lodge. We’re here for all writers whatever your genre or level of experience. We gather to mingle, share and actually put pen to paper.
Each week, we have
• an inspiration hour with a workshop, an author talk, a Q&A, an industry guest, a wellness session, or a reading
• plus two dynamic hours when you can:
• either SHUT UP AND WRITE which means you sit down, shut up, and write. No interruptions, no excuses, no escape (except to hydrate at the bar)
• or STAND UP AND SHARE in a critique group to get constructive feedback on a work-in-progress
• plus extra time and a beautiful space to socialise with fellow writers.
• the Rockwater bar and restaurant are available throughout the evening for sustenance or reward-based motivation.
Brighton and Hove is a writers’ town, so we’re lucky to have a great line-up of guests who will join us at Rockwater in the coming months, including:
• Kate Harrison, bestselling writer of 20 books, including romance, thrillers and a diet book that literally changed lives!
• Nicola Wilson, playwright and screen writer, she most recently penned an episode of Call the Midwife.
• William Shaw, dubbed a ‘modern crime master’, he is a novelist and award-winning music journalist.
• Frances Quinn, author of the historical novel The Smallest Man, and a copywriter whose work you might see in Woman’s Weekly or Waitrose!
• Anna Burtt, presenter of the Brighton Book Club podcast, and events organiser at local independent publishers Myriad and Red Door books.
• Dr Beth Miller, book coach and author of four novels, some of which have naughty bits.
In addition to the Monday meeting from 7-10pm, there is a private Hove Writers Facebook page, where members can mingle every day. Membership is £20 per month or £220 per year.
Your host and organiser of Hove Writers is Jo Furniss, a best-selling author of suspense novels and short stories. A former BBC journalist and also a writing tutor, she lives in Hove with her family, a poodle and a snake.
More information and registration via the website:
Three great reasons to join a writers group
Do you want to write, but never seem to get round to it?
A group dynamic is a great motivator to keep working, set goals, and hit targets. Plus, other writers will see the strengths in your writing and can help you gain confidence.
Do you love writing, but don’t love the solitude?
Whether you’re a new writer or a career author, it is easy to get isolated. A network of like-minded people who ‘get it’ is vital for your creativity, growth and mental health.
Do you have a novel in you, but don’t quite know how to get it out of you?
In a dynamic but playful environment, you can unblock fresh ideas, find your voice, and give yourself permission to take chances – and dream of finally writing that book!
|Monthly||19:00 - 22:00||£22.00|
|Yearly||19:00 - 22:00||£232.00|
Rockwater, Western Esplanade, BN3 4FA
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.