With humour and sarcasm, the musician tells a story about his relationship with the Gadulka. An instrument often overlooked and unremarkable in its appearance, it is in fact the backbone of the Bulgarian folk orchestra. By blaming the Gadulka and undermining its functionality and significance, the Gadulka player reveals the similarities between himself and the instrument. He takes us on a journey through the mysteries and fear we all face on a daily basis. We encounter a story about foundations, foundations which we inevitably take for granted, until the moment they disappear and we have the feeling that we are disappearing as well.
The performance is inspired by Bulgarian culture and reveals to the audience the characteristics of Bulgarian folklore, traditional dances and costumes. It explores the relationship between the Gadulka (a Bulgarian musical instrument) and its owner.
'Sometimes the Balkans seem to me a terrible place, full of absurdities and severe apathy that disintegrates everything around them. Other times I see their beauty and joy, a strange smile peering stupidly everywhere and making you smile, asking you to go figure them out yourself.' Rayko Baychev
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. Latecomers may not be admitted.
6. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
7 Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
8. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
9. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
10. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
11. Cast and creative team are subject to change and any changes provide no justification for possible refunds.
A Performing Arts Festival in south London, from 20th October to 6th November 2016. Taking place at the innovative and award-winning Bread & Roses Theatre.
"A brand new, egalitarian performing arts festival... Clapham Fringe aims to celebrate and foster emerging talent by offering an affordable stage for comedy and drama." - South West Londoner