There are few artists more talented in making the mundane magical than Tove Jansson, the Finnish writer and illustrator who created the Moomins, a forest dwelling family of hippo-like trolls who are loved the world over. Their evocative, philosophical fantasies speak to all ages, most recently in the continuing CGI-animated TV series ‘Moominvalley'. In Finland, she has become a national treasure with an official flag day on her birthday (August 9th) to celebrate Finnish arts and letters.
In this talk, comic historian Paul Gravett will explore Jansson’s multiple careers, ranging from painting and murals to picture books and literature. Illustration was also a lifelong passion, and this visual lecture includes rare and unseen artworks, including her brazen anti-Fascist cartoons during WWII and her daily ‘Moomin' newspaper strips in the London Evening News. Gravett will also investigate how Tove became a queer icon and how her love for women inspired the characters of her artwork.
Paul Gravett is a London-based writer, historian, curator and lecturer, specialising in international comics art. His latest book, ’Tove Jansson’ (Thames & Hudson, 2022), offers fresh details and insights about her life and work, with a focus on her illustrations. It has been published in October 2022 in English, German, Italian, Japanese and Korean, with Chinese, Finnish and Swedish editions to follow in Spring 2023. For more information: www.paulgravett.com
Tove Jansson: Moomins and More
Soho Series at the Century
|18:30 - 20:30||£12.00|
The Century Club, 61 - 63, Shaftesbury Avenue, London, W1D 6LQ
Piccadilly Circus (Tube)
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.