Something A Little Different, Theatre/Arts, Walks & Tours
A guided tour of Highgate Cemetery West led by Dr Ian Dungavell
Built in 1839 on the model of Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris, Highgate Cemetery was one of the Magnificent Seven cemeteries, opened by the Victorians to relieve the strain on Central London’s overflowing church graveyards. The Egyptian entrance gate, flanked by two enormous obelisks, reflects the contemporary fashion for Egyptology. A tomb-lined avenue leads to the Circle of Lebanon at whose heart is an ancient cedar tree, like a massive bonsai, its base surrounded by a circle of mausolea. The top of the cemetery is dominated by the mausoleum of the Beer family which was modelled on the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Michael Faraday, Lucian Freud, Stella Gibbons and Christina Rossetti are all buried here.
This is a rare opportunity to look at some of the mausolea which the Friends of Highgate Cemetery Trust have restored, and to admire the care and attention which people have devoted to the memory of their loved ones. Led by DR IAN DUNGAVELL, architectural historian and chief executive of Highgate Cemetery.
Each ticket includes a 20% donation towards a host of restoration projects at Highgate Cemetery.
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.