Marie Lloyd - the Queen of Music Hall with Midge Gillies
- No reviews.
- Online Event
Join us for the seventh Westminster Arts Reference Library's Artists of London salons where biographer Midge Gillies draws us into the shady world of Victorian music halls to examine the life and work of the queen of the boards, Marie Lloyd . In addition to the talk and a Q+A, each event will include a spotlight on a special item from the Library's collection.
Nearly a century after her death, Marie Lloyd remains one of the most potent figures of 20th century popular culture. She first set foot on the stage as a child in Hoxton and by the time she reached her twenties, she was an international star. So adored was this charismatic star that at the time of her premature death up to 100,000 fans were said to have lined the London roads to pay their respects as her coffin passed.
In this online talk, biographer MIDGE GILLIES will discuss the sensational scandalous life of the woman who brought only laughter and light - along with a cheeky smile and wink - when she trod the boards in the ‘good old days’.
Dr Midge Gillies is the author of nine non-fiction books, including biographies of the record-breaking pilot Amy Johnson and the music hall star Marie Lloyd. She studied History at Girton College, Cambridge and has written for a range of national, international and regional newspapers and magazines.
Live online Zoom talk
|19:00 - 21:00||£4.80|
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.