Djangada - Brazilian Jazz Trio
- No reviews.
- Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club
We can't get enough of this trio.
Fast emerging as the new Brazilian sound from the UK, Djangada's funky piano lead re-workings of classics from Gilberto Gil, and Dorival Caymmi have been captivating audiences all over. Their dynamic trio interplay comes from years of performing together as a rhythm section and it's a true thrill to witness live.
Expect a blend of traditional Brazilian music with a jazz twist that's lively, with a deep sense of craft, and musicality.
The name Djangada comes from the word Jangada, a fishing boat found in the north-east of Brazil, the home of Afro-Brazilian rhythms. It is from here that Djangada draws their inspiration, transforming the classic songs of Bahia's Dorival Caymmi and Gilberto Gil into punchy instrumental grooves. Paying homage to these greats, the trio brings the classic Bossa Nova piano trio sound associated with the 1960’s into a new, funkier era. Their sound is characterised by meticulously crafted arrangements that are interspersed with raw, powerful grooves and joyous improvisation.
Dorival Caymmi is the subject of the first album, ‘Vol.1 Caymmi’. Caymmi was one of the first Brazilian songwriters to achieve international fame, with the songs he wrote for Carmen Miranda having huge global success, including being featured in many hollywood films.
Sam Watts (piano)
Matheus Nova (bass)
Marcinho Pereira (drums)
Doors Open 1 Hour before Start Time
|19:30 - 22:30||£13.00|
Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club, 140 Newington Butts, SE11 4RN
1) Admission tickets are non-refundable within 72 Hours of the event as standard.
2) Live Stream tickets are not eligible for refunds. Your live stream can be viewed at a later time if you are unable to watch it live.
3) If you are unable to attend you are welcome to transfer them to a friend in your name.
4) Please check your tickets are correct for the event you are attending as changes cannot be made
5) On busy nights small groups of 1-2 people may be required to share your table with one other small group.
6) Seating is unreserved and on a 1st come, 1st served basis; please arrive early if you have a preference.
7) Once the performance has begun, we reserve the right to fill any empty seats with people who are on our waiting list or at the door. Late arrivals will still be permitted however you may be asked to stand at the back until seating can be provided at such time.
8) Certain events require a non-talking or quiet audience. You may be asked to leave or move to the outdoor terrace should you wish to talk to avoid disrupting the experience of our other attendees.
9) Video Recording & Photography is encouraged. Please refrain from using flashes or strong lights as they risk harming our performers.
10) Attendees under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult unless the event is strictly for over 18.
11) We operate a Check-21. If you are lucky enough to appear younger than 21 you may be asked for photographic ID.
12) Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the performer or promoter for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled you will be emailed to provide you the option to attend a rescheduled date or request a full refund.
13) Tickets are sold subject to the promoter's or performer's right to alter or vary the programme due to the events or circumstances beyond their control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
14) The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of patrons.
15) The promoter & venue management accepts no responsibility for any personal property.