Artist in Conversation: Sue Lawty
- Haymarket Hotel
On Tuesday 15th November Haymarket Hotel welcomes artist and textile designer Sue Lawty in conversation with Kit Kemp Design Studio’s own Willow Kemp.
This inspiring in-conversation will explore Sue’s use of contemporary and unconventional materials, which is inspired by a visceral understanding of the natural world. Based in Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, Sue is a keen mountain trekker, fell runner and traveller. Her work is inspired by the landscapes she finds herself immersed in, resulting in abstract pieces, drawing, assemblages and weaving. Her work is featured in collections worldwide including the Victoria and Albert Museum where she held a year-long residency.
Willow received an MA in Architecture at St John's College, Cambridge before moving to Germany to study Sculpture at the Dusseldorf Kunstakademie under Director Tony Cragg, where she received a further Masters degree. An art ambassador for Firmdale Hotels and working in the design team at Kit Kemp Design Studio, Willow sources and acquires new pieces, curates art walks and hosts 'In Conversations' with artists. She is involved in creating new furniture, textiles, and product design for the hotels, residential and commercial projects.
Sue Lawty is an artist and designer who constructs textiles using raphia, hemp and lead, and makes drawings and assemblages using tiny stones, creating a kind of pixelated cloth. The work is slow, meditative, and meticulous, defined as much by absence as presence. Lawty lectures and exhibits internationally. She was Artist in Residence/ Associate Artist with the Victoria and Albert Museum, London; where, alongside a solo exhibition of her work, she developed education and community projects. In the US she held a Smithsonian Artist Research Fellowship at the National Museum of Natural History in Washington DC and the National Design Museum in New York – an experience that continues to provide stimulus for her creative thinking. Lawty is also an accomplished trekker and leads both hard mountain treks and specialist textile trips to Bhutan and India.
Artist In Conversation: Sue Lawty
Visit Haymarket Hotel on 15th November for a special in conversation with Kit Kemp Design Studio's own Willow Kemp and artist and textile designer Sue Lawty
|18:30 - 19:30||£10.00|
Haymarket Hotel, 1, Suffolk Place, London, SW1Y 4HX
Charing Cross (Tube)
Getting thereCitymapper Google Maps
More from Firmdale Hotels
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.