It’s 2016 and the time for chaotic science cabaret, stuffed with laughter, is now. Tonight’s gig is curated by the incredible Kat Arney and has a distinct theme of genetics throughout. Kat has pulled together an amazing lineup to take us into the recipe book that makes life what it is. Or blueprint. Or computer programme. Or whatever metaphor we’re using for a genome today. An app. We’re probably saying that DNA is like an app.
TONIGHT’S ACTS ARE:
Steve Cross – Comedian and freelancer science fixer, Lord of Science Showoff. Steve is a failed geneticist and will be wincing in pain throughout the show as people present ideas he ought to understand, but doesn’t.
Misha Gajewski – I will be talking about my personal experience taking the 23&me DNA test and more broadly about direct-to-consumer genetic testing.
Gareth Hellenthal – I will show how DNA can be used to infer our history, by applying statistical methods to current large-scale DNA data resources. As an illustration, I describe the genetic structure and ancestral history of the United Kingdom, including impacts of Anglo-Saxon and Norse Viking invasions.
Priya – I’m a second year PhD student at UCL studying Genetics and Nephrology. I will be talking about genetics in the news from 2015.
Kim Warren – Kim is a PhD student trying to unravel some of the mysteries of how species happen by looking for genetic clues as to why there are so many bats. She’ll be talking about phylogenetics in general and bats in particular.
Liam Drew – Liam is writing a book about being a mammal. He will be talking platypuses, chromosomes and sex.
Charlotte Mykura – Dive into the twisted and tangled wild of the nucleus with Charlotte Mykura and witness as she desperately attempts to make sense of what the hell is happening in there.
Kat Arney – We’ve all heard of genes – but how do they work? Kat Arney has been finding out from the leading scientists around the world, writing it all up in her new book Herding Hemingway’s Cats. From cats with thumbs to fish with hips, via blondes and penis spikes, she’ll share some of the stories she’s discovered along the way.
And more to be announced soon!
The Star of Kings
126 York Way, Kings Cross, London, N1 0AX
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.