Boisdale of Canary Wharf opened in summer 2011. The two-floor venue overlooking Cabot Square comprises restaurant, oyster bar and grill, whisky bar, Cuban cigar library and shop and live music venue. The second floor restaurant is decorated in the instantly recognisable Boisdale signature look of lacquer…
Courtney Pine - "House of Legends"
- Boisdale of Canary Wharf
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
“HOUSE OF LEGENDS” - COURTNEY PINE – LIVE 2022
The Independent “ Courtney Pine was once hailed as British jazz’s saviour….he still is”
The Telegraph “Nothing short of breathtaking”
The Guardian “A walking encyclopaedia of advanced saxophony"
No musician more embodies the dramatic transformation in the British jazz scene over the past twenty plus years than saxophonist Courtney Pine. The ground breaking, multi- instrumentalist has led a generation of exciting and innovative players who have broadened their styles to take jazz out to a wider audience.
In the 80’s he was one of the first black British jazz artists to make a serious mark on the jazz scene when his first album charted and some 20 plus years on (now with an OBE and CBE for services to music) he continues to break new ground with a string of highly acclaimed recordings and numerous prestigious Industry awards. In April 2014 he joined Herbie Hancock and a dazzling line-up of Jazz all-stars for UNESCO’S globally televised concert in Osaka to celebrate International Jazz Day and his name regularly appears on the UK’s list of Most Influential Black Britons.
This past three years have seen him touring sell out shows across the UK, US and Canada and mainstage performances at Bestival, Love Supreme and The London Jazz Festival with his award winning critically acclaimed 15th studio album House of Legends.
Deeply steeped in the traditions of the Caribbean, this very personal project sees Courtney on top form, bringing together musicians from Africa, the Caribbean and Europe for vibrant exchanges that tell tales of life from a truly multi-cultural view point.
Expect an exhilarating mix of Merengue, Ska, Mento and Calypso as played through the lens (saxophone) of a UK born artist with strong, proud Afro-Caribbean roots.
In 1986 a 22 year old Courtney Pine appeared on the front cover of the iconic British music publication NME, he is the only Black British jazz artist to do so - the last quote in a two page interview read “You know I’m doing this for a reason” – some 28 years later he still is…
HOUSE OF LEGENDS REVIEWS
The Times “In a Class of His Own”
The Observer: 4 stars…“Pine is on scalding improvisational form”
Evening Standard: 4 stars/ Jazz CD of the week…”an exceptional labour of love. Never has his intense power been deployed with greater focus"
BBC Music Magazine – 5 stars/CD of the week…”Pine's pin-sharp soprano is a joy throughout'
Jazzwise: 4 stars…."Unquestionably one of the most joyous albums Pine has ever made, it’s just brilliantly effective dance music" ALBUM OF THE YEAR 2012
The Financial Times-: 4 stars….“Pine, brimming with energy, spins his sinewy lines on soprano sax throughout, his tone as forceful and focused as the project demands”
The Arts Desk: 4 stars…“Pine has delivered one of the finest album's in his already well-stuffed discography (definitely my earworm of the year)”
The Scotsman: 4 Stars… “A joyous, dance-inducing celebration of his Afro-Caribbean roots”
Echoes : 4 stars…"Intensely moving, one of Pine’s most complete statements to date, both as a musician and member of a society in a state of flux" ...
The Voice….”There have been many pioneers in the black British community – people who have defined an era, changed societal perceptions and made it easier for those who follow to progress in their field. Courtney Pine is such a trailblazer”
Drums / Dube – Robert Fordjour
Double Bass – Vidal Montgomery
Guitar – Cameron Pierre
Guitar – Chris Cobbson
Steel Pan – Samuel Dubois
Soprano Saxophone / Ewi – Courtney Pine
Bar and heated Terrace available on the first floor for pre/post-show drinks!
ABOUT OUR FOOD:
Sourcing the greatest grass-fed Aberdeenshire beef is crucial to Boisdale but equally so is the attention to detail involved in the dry ageing and the actual cutting. All the beef supplied to Boisdale is from the very best certified beef suckler herds of Aberdeenshire Boisdale is wild about game and all manner of chase and fowl find their way to the tables, be it red grouse – the ultimate game bird uniquely indigenous to Scotland and northern England or Highland venison, the regulars’ favourite served hot smoked with a black truffle dressing. Wildfowl, hare, partridge – all can be enjoyed in the Boisdale restaurants when in season.
Gourmets can also delight in arguably the best beef in the world: 28-40 day matured purebred dry-aged Aberdeenshire steak as well as other remarkable meat that includes Highland Blackface Lamb.
The most famous Scottish export after whisky - smoked salmon - comes to Boisdale from award-winning, small family-owned farms and smokehouses. Other fish specialities include the diver-gathered Orkney King scallops, Loch Ryan native oysters, organic West Minch salmon from South Uist, sweet dill-pickled herring from the Summer Isles, as well as abundant varieties of other seafood.
* Please note that all menus are samples, dishes and prices are subject to change
ABOUT THE VENUE:
Jools Holland, Boisdale’s Patron of Music presents the best in jazz, blues and soul.
About the venue: https://youtu.be/SJhROJnoJLQ
Boisdale of Canary Wharf is a two-floor venue overlooking Cabot Square which comprises a restaurant, four private dining rooms, Oyster Bar & Grill and Cigar Terrace, the world’s greatest Whisky Bar, and the best live music in the capital.
"London's number one jazz venue" Tatler
"Best Whisky Bar in the World" Whisky Magazine
"A carnivore's dream" Evening Standard
"Aged steaks are deemed incredible" Square Meal
"The world's most individualistic style bar & restaurant" Hot Tickets
You can use the following codes on our check out page. Simply click BUY TICKET, select your dates and tickets, and then once in checkout you can choose '+ DISCOUNT CODE'.
VIP - Live Music & Dinner
VIP music tickets & dining table within 5 metres of stage (full closest view) & a delicious 3-course menu covering all dietary requirements including a glass of Premier Cru Champagne on arrival
|21:00 - 22:00||£189.00|
Premium - Live Music & Dinner
Premium music tickets & dining table with a full view of stage & a delicious 3-course menu covering all dietary requirements including a glass of Premier Cru Champagne on arrival
|21:00 - 22:00||£149.00|
Standard - Live Music & Dinner
Standard music tickets and table towards the back of the room with side view of stage with a delicious 2-course menu covering all dietary requirements
|21:00 - 22:00||£99.00|
Window - Live Music & Dinner
Window view table overlooking Cabot Square & Fountain with partial view of stage with a delicious 2-course menu covering all dietary requirements
|21:00 - 22:00||£89.00|
Show Only - Live Music Standard Ticket
A table towards the back of the room facing the stage + live screen. Full cocktail and bar service as well as superb Bar and Restaurant menus available as required
|21:00 - 22:00||£49.00|
Cabot Place, Canary Wharf, E14 4QT
Canary Wharf (Tube)
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.