Mind Over Slammer: Leeds Heat
- No reviews.
- Hyde Park Book Club
Mind Over Slammer is a brand new national initiative that merges bespoke workshops and regional poetry slams, culminating in a Grand Finale in the heart of London, with £1,800 in Grand Slam prize money up for grabs.
Read our full mission statement here.
Headliner: Suhaiymah Manzoor-Khan
Suhaiymah Manzoor-Khan is an critically acclaimed poet, writer and public educator focused on disrupting narratives about history, race and violence.
She speaks and performs her work nationally and internationally and is the author of Seeing for Ourselves; and even stranger possibilities 2023; Tangled in Terror: Uprooting Islamophobia 2022 and the poetry collection Postcolonial Banter.
Suhaiymah is also a co-author of A FLY Girl’s Guide to University; and a contributor to the anthologies Cut from the Same Cloth? and I Refuse to Condemn. Her writing has featured on BBC Radio 4, in The Guardian and Al Jazeera, and her poetry has been viewed millions of times online.
She is a co-founder of the Nejma Collective, a group of Muslims working in solidarity with people in prison.
She is based in Leeds and is currently writing for theatre.
Sign up to Slam!
If you would like to sign up to participate in the Leeds heat, applications are open until 10pm, Sunday 4th February 2024. Sign up here
Names will be drawn at random and successful applicants will be contacted via email on Monday 5th February, by 10pm.
We appreciate that competition of any kind, or the discussion of potentially sensitive topics at events, may trigger anxiety or other pre-existing mental health concerns. As a result of this, following each slam, we are offering participants an optional, free 45 minute online aftercare session with our resident BACP-accredited psychotherapist Anna Sinski. Anna will also be available at each slam should participants require any care.
Please see our FAQ Page for more information about how the slams work.
To stay up to date with all things Mind Over Slammer, sign up to the MoS mailing list.
Doors open: 6.30pm
Supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England
***Prize money funded privately***
|18:00 - 23:00
Hyde Park Book Club, 27-29, Headingley Ln, Leeds, LS6 1BL
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight WFL Media Ltd and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.