Race With The Devil
- No reviews.
- Three Wise Monkeys Colchester
It's all about classic rockabilly when TWM Live presents Race With The Devil at Three Wise Monkeys Colchester on Friday 3rd June
Covering material from the 1950’s by the likes of Gene Vincent, Johnny Burnette, Elvis Presley (the early years), Buddy Holly and Carl Perkins, Race With The Devil have made it their mission to reproduce the work of these great artistes as faithfully as they can. There’s no 21st century interpretation going on here, just great classic rockabilly tracks, performed as they were meant to be performed.
Dave, best known on the circuit for his time with Cottee and the Alley Cats, is based in Lincolnshire, while Anton and Markus live down south in Essex and Hertfordshire respectively – it’s a measure of everyone’s enthusiasm for the line-up that they haven’t let geography get in the way of moving things forward ‘a-pace’ since forming late in 2013. Anton (who also runs a successful classic car interiors company, MadMan Trim) took a couple of years off in 2019 from the 40-gigs-a-year routine, which included club gigs and many festivals including Twinwood, Hemsby and various rockabilly weekenders in Europe, but rejoined in 2021 with a view to getting cracking again after the pandemic had shuffled off. Markus, a well-known name and face on the scene, having played with all the major names at one time or another, replaced a succession of bass players in 2019 and completes the vision for the “most authentic purveyors of classic rockabilly on the circuit in the UK”. The intention now is to concentrate on festivals and weekenders rather than club gigs. *For this show drum duties will be handled by the excellent Billy Collins (The Krazy Kat Trio) - the band’s regular drummer Luke Grainger is off touring with Ferocious Dog for the spring and summer.
Increasingly, it’s the band’s live performance of early Gene Vincent material that is attracting most attention; Dave’s note-perfect renditions of the guitar work of Cliff Gallup is definitely a factor, as is Markus’ authentic and flamboyant double bass work and Anton’s rock solid rhythm work, powerful voice (and cuddly personality of course). Since 2017 the band has been offering bookers the option of a ‘Gene Vincent Special’ set, especially for festival work. Goes down a storm.
Local ‘boy’ Anton was honoured to be asked to fill Grahame Fenton’s (Matchbox) shoes as lead singer with The Carolinas for the annual Gene Vincent birthday tribute night at London’s famous Ace Café (February 2017). He was also invited to perform at the first Gene Vincent Foundation fundraising gig in the UK arranged by Gene’s daughter Sherri and local rockabilly promoters Spike & Linette Richardson (26th Feb 2021, Chelmsford) along with various luminaries and legends on the circuit (Vince Eager, Graham Fenton, Steve Aynsley, Levi Dexter, Lil Dave and Cliff Edmonds) … Total blast.
“Don’t Just Cruise” the band’s debut album was released on CD and download via all the usual sites on October 9th 2015 (still available on Spotify etc) – every gig ends with audience requests for a CD, so it was high time they released one! But for Race with the Devil it’s really all about playing live… so, having sorted the obligatory album release, they can now get on with doing what they love best!
Tickets are on sale now
£8 advance (+ 80p DesignMyNight booking fee)
£10 on the door
Over 18s only
This gig takes place on the top floor of Three Wise Monkeys Colchester.
Access - There is no lift to access the top floor of Three Wise Monkeys. There are flights of hand railed stairs to reach the top floor with rest opportunities between each flight.
|Standing||20:00 - 23:00||£8.00|
60 High St, CO1 1DN
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.