“The Monster Always Wins, Right?”
Cal & Alf. Callum & Alison. They were supposed to be part of each other’s lives forever, if only the universe had let things happen the way they should. But whoever they were before, they’re different people now, and the problem with living in Shithole-on-Sea is that is always pulls you back again, no matter how hard you try to getaway. And the universe that sent them spinning into free-fall throws them together again when the girl who ran away comes back to find out what happened to the boy who didn’t want to leave. And the question that the universe needs to answer most of all now is - Whatever happened to the people we leave behind?
Proforca Theatre Company in Association with The Lion & Unicorn Theatre presents
“Lately” by James Lewis, directed by David Brady, which made its critically acclaimed, Offie-nominated debut in 2021. “Lately” is an intimate, emotional story about the places we can never escape from, the dreams we never realise and the people that bring us back down to earth again.
Proforca Theatre Company is the managing company in residence at the Lion & Unicorn Theatre, Kentish Town. “Lately” follows the critically acclaimed "Feel" (2018-19 Lion & Unicorn Theatre & Tour) and the award nominated "At Last" (2019), "AAAAA [FiveA]” (2020) and “Flashbang” (2022) - (Lion & Unicorn & Albany Theatre Coventry).
Content Advisory: Contains very strong language, sexual references, adult themes and discussions of suicide.
PRAISE FOR “LATELY” (2021/23)
OFFIE NOMINATION (OFFWESTEND.COM) – Best New Play (2021)
★★★★ “It’s a tough show full of tough themes, but it has a heart as big as the moon over Thailand” View from the Cheap Seat
★★★★ “Lately is beautiful moving storytelling. It’s real life. It’s excellent theatre” - London Theatre Reviews
★★★★ “The beautiful lyrical script was a pleasure to hear. The work is cleverly circular with a lot of ground covered in between” - London Pub Theatres
★★★★ “A beautiful and personal drama, Lately’s themes of wanting to escape both physically and mentally from your life are relatable of so many levels” - Everything Theatre
★★★★ “This is such an exquisite and sensitively written play I would happily have spent another evening in its company - View From the Outside
★★★★ “When given such extremely fine treatment as it is here, this thoughtful and moving play certainly demands to be seen.” - London Living Large
“Writing, direction & performances of the highest quality, with a story thats infinitely relatable.” - Theatre Things
Admit one 7.30pm
|19:30 - 20:30||£12.00|
Pre theatre dining
2 course set menu
|18:00 - 19:30||£17.95|
Town and Gown, 8, Market Passage, Cambridge, CB2 3PF
Getting thereCitymapper Google Maps
TERMS & CONDITIONS
TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE and NON EXCHANGEABLE
Changes can be made to ticket purchases subject to availability and may not be an option for certain events. Changes will incur a £2.50 per ticket administration fee. This is offered at the discretion of the venue.
LATECOMERS - Please be aware that due to the intimate setting of the Town and Gown Theatre that latecomers MAY not be admitted. Please leave sufficient time for arrival as refunds will not be given if you cannot be admitted due to arriving late.
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.