Victorian, unique and vintage are but a few ways to describe the eye-catching Old Joint Stock Theatre pub, sitting just shy of Birmingham City Centre. Born originally as a library in 1862 then later a bank, this decadent and richly decorated Victorian pub sits comfortably opposite St Philips Cathedral…
DO YOU THINK THAT'S WISE? - The Life and Times of John Le Mesurier
- No reviews.
- Old Joint Stock Pub & Theatre
British Comedy Guide Recommended Show 2018*
In this affectionate tribute to one of Britain’s best-loved comedy stars, leading impressionist Julian Dutton (BBC1’s The Big Impression, BBC R4’s The Secret World, co-creator & co-star of BBC2's Pompidou with Matt Lucas etc.) brings to life the man behind the wry smile and urbane English repartee that charmed millions and turned John Le Mesurier into a household name as Sergeant Wilson in Dad’s Army. As with many comedy stars, Le Mesurier’s life was not without tragedy – his broken marriage to Hattie Jacques, his betrayal by his best friend Tony Hancock – all these setbacks shook him, but his reputation as the quintessential English Gentleman never wavered. Packed with glorious reminiscences and stories from the Golden Age of Classic British Comedy, Julian Dutton’s show is a joyful and moving celebration of one of the most popular comic actors of our era.
“A compelling performance” ★★★★ CHORTLE
“You would think that John Le Mesurier was actually stood before you. An amazing biographical tale - look out for it on tour.” BRITISH COMEDY GUIDE
“Dutton is an excellent mimic and exudes the charm and easy, genial style of his subject. In so doing, he pulls off a clever trick, showing us a man who is essentially pathetic and alcoholic whist never ruining our fond memory of Le Mesurier as the helpless and hugely funny Sergeant Wilson.”
BRITISH THEATRE GUIDE
“An impressionist tour de force” Independent
“Brilliant” Jon Culshaw
“A superb impersonation” Claire Cavanagh, BBC Bristol
mers around.” BBC Comedy
“A fantastic show” James Hurn, the One-Man Hancock’s Half Hour
Do You Think That's Wise? Evening
Admit One Evening
|19:30 - 21:30||£13.00|
Do You Think That's Wise? Matinee
Admit One Matinee
|14:30 - 16:30||£13.00|
2 Courses Set Menu £18 Evening
|18:00 - 19:30||£18.00|
2 Courses Set Menu £18 Matinee
|13:00 - 14:30||£18.00|
4 Temple Row West, B2 5NY
Birmingham City Centre
TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE and NON EXCHANGEABLE
Changes can be made to ticket purchases subject to availability and may not be an option for certain events. Changes will incur a £2.50 per ticket administration fee. This is offered at the discretion of the venue.
LATECOMERS - Please be aware that due to the intimate setting of the Old Joint Stock Theatre that latecomers MAY not be admitted. Please leave sufficient time for arrival as refunds will not be given if you cannot be admitted due to arriving late.
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.