Tara Minton Quartet: In the footsteps of Dorothy Ashby
- No reviews.
- Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club
Dorothy Ashby, hailed as the 'Queen of Jazz Harp', was a trailblazer of modern jazz harp and a prominent figure in American jazz, yet often overlooked in history. A gifted musician, composer, and civil rights activist, she led 11 albums as a band leader and collaborated with renowned artists such as Louis Armstrong, Freddie Hubbard, and Stevie Wonder. Along with her husband, she established "The Ashby Players," a theater company that produced musicals shedding light on the plight of black Americans and advocating for social change. Despite facing resistance and criticism as a black female jazz musician daring to play jazz on the harp, her legacy now lives on as one of the most sampled artists of all time.
Tara Minton, a contemporary jazz harpist, vocalist, and composer, hailing from Melbourne, Australia, arrived in London in 2011 to pursue her dream of becoming a jazz harpist. Like Ashby, she also encountered resistance as a harpist trying to break into the jazz scene, but gradually made her way through. Starting with the 606 in Chelsea, Tara soon gained acceptance at other jazz clubs. Last year she made her headline debut at Ronnie Scott's with Stan Sulzmann on tenor saxophone, and she has performed with Geoff Gascoyne, Tony Kofi, Rob Luft, Emma Rawicz, Eska, the Ronnie Scott's All Stars and even Björk!
Harp: Tara Minton
Vibraphone: Jonny Mansfield
Double Bass: Ed Babar
Drums: David Ingamells
|Standard Admission||20:30 - 23:00||£20.00|
Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club, 140 Newington Butts, SE11 4RN
Getting thereCitymapper Google Maps
More from Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight WFL Media Ltd and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.