WIJM & Tomorrow Warriors: JAM String Collective
- Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club
In partnership with Women in Jazz Media and Tomorrow's Warriors.
J.A.M String Collective is an exciting new contemporary jazz string trio, playing their own re-imaginings of works by jazz heavyweights, such as Ornette Coleman, Thelonious Monk and Kenny Wheeler, alongside their own compositions. Their arrangements leave space for moments of freeness, with a heavy focus on interaction and improvisation.
The trio features Annalise Lam violin, Julia Dos Reis viola, and Miranda Lewis-Brown cello.
Julia and Miranda met in 2015 through Gary Crosby’s OBE Tomorrow’s Warriors Jazz String project, String Ting, with whom they have gigged extensively across the UK and Europe. They have toured with larger Warrior ensembles such as Peter Edward’s Nu Civilisation Orchestra, and Jazz Jamaica, as well as played their own gigs - as a trio and quartet - in venues such as Ronnie Scott’s, Pizza Express Club Soho, The Purcell Room SBC. In 2019 they supported legendary saxophonist, Steve Williamson, in a UK tour.
In more recent years Annalise also joined the larger collective of String Ting, first meeting Julia at a Warrior’s workshop led by jazz violinist extraordinaire, Benet McClean. Julia and Annalise struck up a relationship which continued through their Masters studies at Guildhall, where they would often meet to jam ideas, many of which have continued into J.A.M.
More about Tomorrow’s Warriors
Tomorrow’s Warriors is a pioneering talent development organisation, creative producer, learning and training provider, charity and consultancy specialising in jazz. Founded in 1991 by Queen’s Medal for Music recipient Gary Crosby OBE and Janine Irons MBE, Tomorrow’s Warriors helps aspiring young artists from diverse backgrounds discover their magic and achieve creative ambitions.
TW nurtures nascent talent and builds engaged, culturally diverse audiences and has been recognised both nationally and internationally, receiving over fifty awards, including the 2021 Impact Award from Jazz FM.
Their award-winning alumni include Moses Boyd, Nubya Garcia, Sheila Maurice-Grey, Cassie Kinoshi and Nerija, Femi Koleoso and Ezra Collective, Binker Golding, Shabaka Hutchings and Sons of Kemet, ESKA, Denys Baptiste, Soweto Kinch, Ben Burrell, Zara McFarlane, Camilla George, CHERISE, Nathaniel Facey and Empirical, Peter Edwards... the list goes on and on.
“Tomorrow’s Warriors have changed the musical landscape of Britain. It’s as simple as that.” Cerys Matthews, Artist & Broadcaster
Analise Lam violin
Julia Dos Reis viola
Miranda Lewis-Brown cello
|Standard Admission||20:30 - 23:00||£20.00|
|Early Bird||20:30 - 23:00||£18.00|
Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club, 140 Newington Butts, SE11 4RN
Getting thereCitymapper Google Maps
More from Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight WFL Media Ltd and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.