Maria de Buenos Aires - a Surreal Operita Tango in the Vaults
- The Vaults
OSKAR McCARTHY and A CURIOUS INVITATION present MARIA DE BUENOS AIRES - a surreal operita tango with music by the creator of tango nuevo Argentinian bandoneonist ASTOR PIAZZOLLA and words by Uruguayan poet HORACIO FERRER.
Descend into the Vaults and mingle with the lowlife of old Buenos Aires - thieves, card sharps, pimps and whores - where the Narrator will relate the story of Piazzolla's muse, María, a prostitute born in the slums “one day when God was drunk … with a curse in her voice.” Maria is seduced by the rhythms of the tango and soon becomes “the most sorcerous singer and lover” in Buenos Aires. But her “fatal passion” arouses the wrath of the languishing bandoneonist, who, driven to madness by Maria’s unrelenting freedom, conspires with a group of robbers and brothel madames to murder her. After her death, her Shadow returns to haunt the sordid streets she once walked, and only then does Piazzolla, along with his rival the Narrator, realise the error of his ways: “Maria is music, she can’t belong to anyone!” A modern day Passion Play, full of religious allusions and black humour, set to a soundtrack of tangos, milongas and waltzes.
This intimate 90-minute masterpiece featuring an 11 piece orchestra will be presented in the setting of an abandoned carnival. After the performance guests who, like María herself, refuse to depart the scene will be invited to tango into the small hours at our after show party.
Maria de Buenos Aires is presented by Oskar McCarthy and A Curious Invitation, by arrangement with Warner Chappell Music Limited. Directed by Ella Marchment with choreography by Rachel Drazek.
An Argentine tango composer, arranger and bandoneón player: Piazzola's oeuvre revolutionised the traditional tango into a new style termed nuevo tango, incorporating elements from jazz and classical music.
A Uruguayan-born poet, Horacio Ferrer rose to fame as Piazzolla’s lyricist and longtime collaborator. He composed more than 200 songs and authored several books about tango, including El Libro del Tango which turned into a key reference work on the subject.
Producers - Oskar McCarthy and Suzette Field
Director - Ella Marchment
Musical Director - Noah Mosley (conductor 6th/7th May and 3rd/4th June)
Movement Director - Rachel Drazek
Costume Designer - Nais Molines
Assistant Musical Director - Jeremy Walker (conductor 13th/14th May)
Maria - Clare Ghigo
Cantor - Ricardo Panela
El Duende - Sergio Jaraiz Lara
Piazzolla - Martin Espindola
Chorus - Antonio Hurtado, Frankie Wakefield, Brais Breijo, Cinthia Lilen, Tania Firth, Veronica Morejon
Violin 1 - Casper Ikeda
Violin 2 - Alec Harmon
Viola - Jocelyn Coates
Cello - Rachel Twomey
Double Bass - Mark McCarthy (Chris Weaver 3rd/4th June)
Flute - Simon Williams
Guitar - Scipio Mosley
Tuned Percussion - Artemis Reed
Percussion - Fran Lombardelli
Piano - Hélène Favre-Bulle
|Ticket of admission||22:30 - 02:00||£25.00|
Leake Street, SE1 7NN
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.