Preach! Drag at St James's
- St James's Piccadilly
A drag night in a church! Kicking off with RuPaul's Drag Race UK icons River Medway and Veronica Green, plus much much more.
Doors 7pm. Double headline!
RIVER MEDWAY & VERONICA GREEN
SON OF A TUTU
PREACH! is a new drag night for London’s West End, in the unique setting of St James’s Church Piccadilly. St James’s is widely known for its pioneering welcome of LGBTQAI+ communities and other marginalised people and groups. As part of its mission to celebrate artistry and ingenuity in every walk of life, for the first time in its 340 year history, St James’s will welcome drag icons from around the world to perform beneath its ornate gold ceiling, showcasing some of the biggest names in the art of drag, as well as fresh talent.
PREACH! events typically include live song using our famous Fazioli grand piano, lip syncs galore and hilarious comedy routines, plus dancing-in-the-aisles, singalongs, mocktails and cocktails- all under the roof of this historic Grade I listed church.
Kindness, creativity, laughter and pathos will make a truly special night in the centre of London, close to Soho and the West End.
About the artists
“The River is here. Come take a dive!”
Hailing from Kent, River Medway quickly became a household name after appearing on the third season of RuPaul’s Drag Race UK. From her iconic runway moments to her heartfelt stories, she became a firm fan-favourite and continues to receive widespread acclaim and adoration. Since the TV series, River has toured extensively across the UK, including the ‘Pick‘n’Mix’ UK tour, ‘The Main Event’ UK Tour and the official Drag Race UK Season 3 tour. River also briefly joined the cast of Tuckshop’s ‘Dick Whittington’ last Christmas at the Phoenix Theatre, London, as Alice. Most recently, River played Sister Mary Julie Andrews in Death Drop: Back In The Habit, which in London’s West End and across the country.
"I'm known for going from Gollum to gorgeous in three hours!"
Veronica Green appeared on the second series of RuPaul's Drag Race UK but departed due to contracting COVID-19. Thankfully for all her fans she returned in season 3 and has since performed across the UK, including alongside drag icons The Vivienne and Tia Kofi at the Vaudeville Theatre for Drag Queens of Pop. In 2021, Veronica released her popular single "Nothing To Lose", in collaboration with Myleene Klass. You may also recognise her from fun ad campaigns as one of three witches, played by Veronica Green, Tia Kofi and Asia Thorne. In 2022, Veronica toured with RuPaul's Drag Race UK: The Official Tour.
SON OF A TUTU
Son of a Tutu is an actor, award-winning drag artist, activist, and speaker. Since winning ‘Drag Idol UK’ in 2011, they have performed nationally and across Europe in various cabaret venues, films, pantos, Prides and festivals, including Edinburgh Fringe. They have hosted online events for Amnesty International and ParaPride, as well as hosting bingo on Victoria Beckham’s Instagram account during lockdown!
As featured on ‘BBC stories’, Tutu was the face of Primark’s national Pride campaign (2019). They also conceived and directed the #YouCanDoBetter (microaggressions) viral video in the wake of the Black Lives Matter uprisings of 2020, and were featured as one of the subjects in Dan Jones’s book ‘50 Drag Queens Who Changed the World’. They can be seen in the movie “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” and, in 2023, will play the lead role in short film “Lemon”. Known for their beauty and iconic looks, Son of a Tutu can also be seen in the Hampton Court Palace film and portrait installation “Permissible Beauties”.
Angus Chai is your misfit new age guy who makes his own Spirulina energy balls at home whilst his mother dozes upstairs. He loves to share poems and numbers from his toolkit anthology taking inspiration from WD40, orbital sanders and spirit levels. The cosmic love child of Scottish poet Ivor Cutler, Angus explores themes of sex, the afterlife, DIY and revolution. Anything could happen with Angus Chai but one thing is sure, you won't experience another soul like him.
COMPERED BY BARBARA
Barbara is a London-based drag queen and artist, known for her spectacular lip syncs, soaring vocals and slick comedy timing. Our very own drag-queen-in-residence, Barbara helps promote St James’s as a welcoming and safe space for LGBTQAI+ people and their allies. She hosts our annual community cabaret with panache, and we couldn’t wish for more beautifully manicured hands to host this sparkling evening!
Tickets are banded according to location in the church. Within each section, individual seats are unallocated so you are advised to arrive early for the best view. If you have special access requirements (e.g. wheelchair users) please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. This is an 18+ event.
St James's Piccadilly, 197, Piccadilly, London, W1J 9LL
Piccadilly Circus (Tube)
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.