PHIZ, LEECH and CRUIKSHANK - Charles Dickens and his Illustrators with Pete Smith
- No reviews.
- Online Event
Join us for the eighth Westminster Arts Reference Library's Artists of London salons where Pete Smith explores the wonderful world and work of the illustrators who visualised Dickens' stories, characters and settings. In addition to the talk and a Q+A, each event will include a spotlight on a special item from the Library's collection.
Writing for an audience that ranged from high society to the semi-literate, CHARLES DICKENS understood well the importance of illustrations, some of which were to define the public perception of his characters and the urban scene they inhabited.
He worked closely with several artists who produced illustrations for his novels and writing, often directing them regarding which episodes to illustrate, and sometimes criticising their interpretations.
In this illustrated talk, historian PETE SMITH reveals the story of the author's close and often fraught collaboration with a range of talented artists including the famous illustrators George Cruikshank and Hablot Knight Browne aka ‘Phiz’ and lesser known figures such as John Leech and Frederick W. Pailthorpe. Smith will highlight and de-code a myriad detailed clues in their illustrations that a modern reader might easily miss.
Tickets £4.80 including a 50% donation to the Westminster Arts Reference Library - https://acuriousinvitation.com/dickensandhisillustrators.html
PETE SMITH is a Devon-born academic who has lived in London since the age of ten. Since retiring as Head of English and Dean of Arts at Brunel University (a job he describes as very like managing the salad bar at Smithfield Meat Market), he has reinvented himself as a City of London and City of Westminster guide and freelance lecturer.
PLEASE NOTE -
This talk will take place virtually via Zoom. Ticket sales will end at 5:00 pm BST on the day of the lecture. A link to the conference will be sent to the email used at checkout at 6:00 pm BST on the day of the event. Please email email@example.com in the event your link fails to arrive.
Charles Dickens and his Illustrators
Live online Zoom talk
|19:00 - 21:00||£4.80|
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.