A ROYAL EXECUTION - DNA Profiling and Forensic Investigation into the Romanov Mystery
- Online Event
A Live, Illustrated Zoom Talk with Forensic Scientist Dr Peter Gill
In July 1918, Tsar Nicholas II and his family were shot and bayoneted to death by Communist revolutionaries in Yekaterinburg, but no evidence of the crime was discovered. Rumours abounded that the Grand Duchess Anastasia had escaped to the West and up to ten different women claimed to be her. Over 70 years after the fateful night, the investigation into the Royal Family's murders remained open and still no bodies had been found. But in 1991 human remains were excavated close to where the Romanovs were murdered, and a new phase of the investigation began.
In this talk, Dr Peter Gill, a world-renowned British forensic scientist, reveals how he was invited to use the then fairly new science of DNA profiling techniques to solve this historic mystery. Gill will describe the history, methods and protocol of this forensic practice, unveiling how he and a small group of scientists were able to extract DNA from bones that had been buried for nearly three quarters of a century.
Tickets £4.80 including a 20% donation to the Friends of Kensal Green Cemetery.
Dr Peter Gill
With over 40 years' experience, Dr Peter Gill is one of the pioneers of DNA profiling as applied to forensic science. He is responsible for many innovations in this field including those that led to the creation of the UK national DNA database, the first in the world.
PLEASE NOTE - This talk will take place virtually via Zoom. Ticket sales will end at 5:00 pm BST on the day of the lecture. A link to the conference will be sent to the email used at checkout at 3:00 pm BST on the day of the event. Please email email@example.com in the event your link fails to arrive.
A Royal Execution
Live, Online Talk
|19:00 - 21:00||£4.80|
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.