WIJM & EFG London Jazz Fest present Women That Inspire: Migdalia van der Hoven Quartet
- Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club
Join us, for the very first night of our EFG London Jazz Fest 2022 partnered events:
Women in Jazz Media* (in association with Jazz Views) present:
Mexico’s Woman of the year for arts and culture, Migdalia van der Hoven presents her brilliant quartet focusing on music from the jazz and jazz fusion repertoire; with catchy melodies, hard swing, and heavy groove!
Together with her band, she'll be performing a mixture of original and contemporary tunes as part of her new album "Point of Departure" recorded live at Abbey Road Studios with Wikus van der Hoven (Sax) Johnny Mayers (Bass) and Josh Stidwill (Piano). Expect a very accessible West Coast style sound, which promises to keep you enthralled and engaged.
Currently touring with SIX the Musical, across the U.K., she is also a Vater Drumsticks, Bosphorus Cymbals, and RTOM Corporation artist. She is a Berklee College of Music graduate (where she studied and performed with Jackie Santos, Terri Lynn Carrington, Victor Mendoza and Mark Walker). She is known for her groove, sensitivity and versatility across multiple genres such as funk, jazz, fusion, latin jazz, pop and world music.
Have a listen to her fantastic, critically-acclaimed debut EP, "Girl Facing South" (2021) which saw some epic live outings including our last WIJM festival with EFG London Jazz Fest, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club, Pizza Express Live and more. The EP comprises a mix of original and West Coast fusion tracks and has already received positive reviews from Grammy Award winning artists no less!
As a session musician, Migdalia has performed in the UK with Scott Stroman, Adam Glasser, Russell Brand, Paul Enger (Caﬀe Nero), The All Souls Orchestra, Women in Jazz and on the BBC/ITV. She was part of the Beantown Jazz Festival in the USA and is currently a member of the National Jazz Orchestra of Mexico where she performs and also supports young women through scholarships to continue their studies in jazz. Also oﬀering masterclasses internationally - so don't forget to tell any talented young drummers you may know.
Migdalia will perform at the Cornbury Festival 2022, Prom Praise at the Royal Albert Hall with the All Souls Orchestra and will be one of the UK judges for Hit like a Girl Contest 2022, which is the biggest female drum/beats contest worldwide.
With more than 25 years of experience and she is currently associated with Women in Jazz Media, Caﬀe Nero and Talentbanq, we're delighted to have her back for the second year in a row. So get ready for some top jazz and dynamite drum solos from one of the best drummers on the scene today.
Social Media Links:
*Women in Jazz Media is an award-winning organisation, dedicated to wake up and shake up the jazz industry. Spreading the ethos that there are talented, creative women in all fields of our great community and it's time to recognise and ignite balance. With an international team, from Seoul to Athens - we create podcasts, magazines, book clubs, directories, events, and many many strides. Founded by Fiona Ross in 2019, follow us, join us and create the change you want to see. @womeninjazzmedia
Doors open and hour before the show
|20:00 - 22:00||£20.00|
Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club, 140 Newington Butts, SE11 4RN
1) Admission tickets are non-refundable within 72 Hours of the event as standard.
2) Live Stream tickets are not eligible for refunds. Your live stream can be viewed at a later time if you are unable to watch it live.
3) If you are unable to attend you are welcome to transfer them to a friend in your name.
4) Please check your tickets are correct for the event you are attending as changes cannot be made
5) On busy nights small groups of 1-2 people may be required to share your table with one other small group.
6) Seating is unreserved and on a 1st come, 1st served basis; please arrive early if you have a preference.
7) Once the performance has begun, we reserve the right to fill any empty seats with people who are on our waiting list or at the door. Late arrivals will still be permitted however you may be asked to stand at the back until seating can be provided at such time.
8) Certain events require a non-talking or quiet audience. You may be asked to leave or move to the outdoor terrace should you wish to talk to avoid disrupting the experience of our other attendees.
9) Video Recording & Photography is encouraged. Please refrain from using flashes or strong lights as they risk harming our performers.
10) Attendees under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult unless the event is strictly for over 18.
11) We operate a Check-21. If you are lucky enough to appear younger than 21 you may be asked for photographic ID.
12) Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the performer or promoter for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled you will be emailed to provide you the option to attend a rescheduled date or request a full refund.
13) Tickets are sold subject to the promoter's or performer's right to alter or vary the programme due to the events or circumstances beyond their control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
14) The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of patrons.
15) The promoter & venue management accepts no responsibility for any personal property.