An Evening with Salena Godden - Spoken Word Thursdays @ Fervor Festival
- No reviews.
- Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club
Join us for an exclusive audience with the activist, broadcaster, essayist and memoirist as we delve into the inner workings of Godden's creativity, what it was like to publish her critically-acclaimed novel, Mrs Death Misses Death, discover what the future holds and of course, be treated to a private reading.
You'll also have your chance to perform in front of the great writer herself, after a special workshop inspired by Salena's work.
Praise for Mrs Death Misses Death:
“A fantastically imaginative story about life, death and everything in between – a potent reminder that life is short and every second should be cherished”
“Exquisite. A daring, poetic offering that establishes Godden as one of our most exciting voices. I loved it”
The Royal Society of Literature made her a fellow FRSL in November 2020.
Canongate pre-empted world rights to her debut novel Mrs Death Misses Death. A documentary following the work-in-progress over a year was broadcast on BBC Radio 4. The book has been described by the publisher as “intoxicating and life-affirming” and in The Bookseller as “an original, exuberant novel, freewheeling from prose to poetry to non-fiction, truly one of a kind.”
Godden has had several volumes of poetry published including Under The Pier (Nasty Little Press) Fishing in the Aftermath: Poems 1994-2014 (Burning Eye Books) Pessimism is for Lightweights – 13 Pieces of Courage and Resistance (Rough Trade Books) and also her literary childhood memoir, Springfield Road (Unbound).
During 2018 her poem Pessimism is for Lightweights was displayed at the Arnolfini Gallery in Bristol. It has now been donated to The Peoples History Museum, Manchester, where it is now on permanent display. The poem was unveiled in February 2020 to mark the museum’s 10th birthday.
Salena Godden has recorded several albums, most recently her spoken-word album LIVEwire (Nymphs and Thugs) was shortlisted for the Ted Hughes Award. In May 2020 she released ‘The Lockdown E.P’ (Nymphs and Thugs) with profits being donated to the NHS charities.
Doors open an hour before the show
|19:30 - 22:30||£20.00|
Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club, 140 Newington Butts, SE11 4RN
1) Admission tickets are non-refundable within 72 Hours of the event as standard.
2) Live Stream tickets are not eligible for refunds. Your live stream can be viewed at a later time if you are unable to watch it live.
3) If you are unable to attend you are welcome to transfer them to a friend in your name.
4) Please check your tickets are correct for the event you are attending as changes cannot be made
5) On busy nights small groups of 1-2 people may be required to share your table with one other small group.
6) Seating is unreserved and on a 1st come, 1st served basis; please arrive early if you have a preference.
7) Once the performance has begun, we reserve the right to fill any empty seats with people who are on our waiting list or at the door. Late arrivals will still be permitted however you may be asked to stand at the back until seating can be provided at such time.
8) Certain events require a non-talking or quiet audience. You may be asked to leave or move to the outdoor terrace should you wish to talk to avoid disrupting the experience of our other attendees.
9) Video Recording & Photography is encouraged. Please refrain from using flashes or strong lights as they risk harming our performers.
10) Attendees under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult unless the event is strictly for over 18.
11) We operate a Check-21. If you are lucky enough to appear younger than 21 you may be asked for photographic ID.
12) Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the performer or promoter for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled you will be emailed to provide you the option to attend a rescheduled date or request a full refund.
13) Tickets are sold subject to the promoter's or performer's right to alter or vary the programme due to the events or circumstances beyond their control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
14) The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of patrons.
15) The promoter & venue management accepts no responsibility for any personal property.