Shuttlecock Inc. are the coolest family in London with their bunch of lovely and talented cousins who came together to create a restaurants events company. Having major success with DesignMyNight endorsed events over the past year or so, they have decided to settle down in one place for the forseeable…
The Blue Lotus Opium Den
- Carousel Restaurant
Shuttlecock Inc presents…
蓝莲花 ‘The Blue Lotus’ Opium Den
Wednesday 30th September to Saturday 3rd October
Stockton Street, Chinatown, San Francisco. 1878.
Gambling, prostitution, slavery, opium… Chinatown was a colourful place back in the 1870s. With 15,000 immigrants crammed into just 20 city blocks, this hellish pocket of the Pacific Coast - home to the army of ‘coolies’ working on the Transcontinental Railroad - was a law unto itself.
Leisure time was scarce but punctuating the poverty, the crime and the widespread violence there did exist one popular past time that united San Franciscans of all backgrounds: yāpiàn (opium).
Opium dens were a dime a dozen but the most notorious of them all was ‘The Blue Lotus’ at the back of a Chinese Laundry on an alleyway just behind Stockton Street. Liquor, dames, cards, dope… whatever you were looking for, you’d find it here. Around the clock, Chinese and Americans alike would gather in their hundreds to smoke their troubles away - as they used to say, ‘the dope don’t discriminate’. Even the cops were in on the act.
From the 30th September to the 3rd October 2015, Shuttlecock Inc - the creative minds behind Mile High, The Great Indian Peninsula Railway, Rumble at the Deli and The Last Frontier - will be recreating The Blue Lotus in all its insalubrious majesty DOWNSTAIRS at Carousel, complete with dim sum, cocktails, live music and immersive entertainment from 7pm ‘til late. £38 gets you entry to the den, a Monkey Shoulder cocktail and a selection of Chinese-inspired bar snacks. Opium will be charged at the market rate.
Artfully combining flavour, design, performance and music, Shuttlecock Inc are London’s leading purveyors of irreverent immersive experiences. Head to shuttlecock-inc.com for highlights of their award-winning pop-ups, parties and events.
Entry to the Blue Lotus
Your ticket gets you a cocktail and 5 dim sum in Chinatown. Plus guaranteed entry into The Blue Lotus Opium Den. After that you're on your own...
|19:00 - 23:30||£38.00|
71, Blandford Street, W1U 8AB
Bond Street (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.