The Backyard Comedy Club in Bethnal Green is a great night out with some of the top comics from around the world! The club's Thursday night show features upcoming comedians and usually one or two special guests who are kept secret until the evening of the show, while it's Friday and Saturday shows…
Nerd Nite London March 2024
- Backyard Comedy Club
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along. This month, we'll find out what happens to unearthed Roman mosaics, unpick postmodernism and if that's not enough find out about the legendary cyclist Gino Bartali!
Address: The Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL / also online
Details: Wednesday, 20 March 2024. Doors open at 7:00pm, event starts at 7.30pm. The online stream will go live at 7:15pm, with the speakers starting at 7.30pm and will be available for around 24 hours.
Be there and be square.
Postmodernism and us: style, irony and the puzzle of value
Postmodernism was a controversial movement that had a huge cultural impact in the mid-late 20th century. We live with it to this day, yet understanding of it remains patchy. The relationship between Postmodernism and contemporary culture will be explained with fun examples from art, architecture, and the Simpsons.
David Stoker is a policy analyst at the House of Lords, where he supports a variety of select committees on matters of the day, and a former primary school teacher. He is a fan of theory, and will spark your imagination with his passion for making the big ideas that shape our world accessible to a wider audience. He’s on Instagram @brain.stoker
Conserving Roman Mosaics
You've probably seen news articles over the last few years showing discoveries of Roman mosaics during large infrastructure or redevelopment projects... but what happens to them after? Conservators and archaeologists have identified three principal approaches in conserving Roman mosaics in England: exhibition in situ, removal from the site or reburial. But which of these is the best method? The methods and implications of each option will be explored using examples across the country.
Claire Gayle started her studies in architecture, but always had an affinity for historic buildings and ruins. She left the US to pursue a Master’s degree in building conservation and then later, another degree in archaeology, where she could justify spending her time ogling at Roman mosaics, which both of her masters dissertations focussed on. She has now worked in the historic environment principally in relation to planning and development for over 10 years, but still spends most of her free time gawking at old buildings and ruins.
Gino and his bicycle
Is it a man?! Is it a bicycle?! No, it’s Italian cycling legend Gino Bartali who managed to carry more than himself on his bicycle during World War 2!
Dimitris Amvrazis is a photographer and a cycling enthusiast who fell in love with the story and believes that more people need to learn about this legend. Apart from photography and cycling, he is a big Dr Who fan and believes that cheese is usually the answer to most problems. He’s on X/Twitter @Greekphotoguy
All proceeds after costs from Nerd Nite London go to charity. This year we are partnering with The Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds.
More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on X/Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook at nerdnitelondon or visiting london.nerdnite.com. See some of our past speakers on our YouTube channel.
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:30
|19:00 - 22:30
Concessions prices apply for the following groups: Students, OAP, Unemployed, Disabled, Librarians, Teachers, NHS.
|19:00 - 22:30
Admission + extra generous donation to the Shine Trust
Worried about austerity? Want to do a little more to help school kids thrive? Pay a little extra, and we'll donate a little extra to the Shine Trust.
|19:00 - 22:30
Online (general admission)
NOTE the online experience is not as interactive as the in-person event and it may be tricky to hear, in particular, the audience reaction. The stream goes live at 7:15PM.
|19:15 - 22:30
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight WFL Media Ltd and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.