The Backyard Comedy Club in Bethnal Green is a great night out with some of the top comics from around the world! The club's Thursday night show features upcoming comedians and usually one or two special guests who are kept secret until the evening of the show, while it's Friday and Saturday shows…
Nerd Nite London - Sept 2021
- Backyard Comedy Club
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along. This September we're going to be learning about deductive reasoning, break-ups and how to take on Big Tech.
Be there and be square.
Address: Backyard Bar and Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Rd, London E2 0EL or online, if you'd prefer.
Details: Sept 22nd, 2021. Doors open at 7, the stream will go live at 7.15(ish) , with the speakers starting at 7.30PM
Tickets: Early Nerd Tickets £6, General Admission £7.50, Extra-generous donation to Shine Trust £10, Online £5. Concessions available. All proceeds will be donated to charity.
****UPDATE: CHANGE IN LINE-UP, NEW SPEAKER SCHEDULED****
The People vs Big Tech
YouTube, Google, Facebook and Apple are all facing ‘class’ or ‘collective’ actions, where large groups of citizens and consumers band together to seek compensation for wrong doing on a large scale. How effective is this legal route for getting redress and changing the behaviour of these global giants?
Liz Coll is a consumer tech policy expert and campaigner for fairer and safer digital technology. In July 2021, she launched a class action lawsuit against Google on behalf of the 19.5 million UK consumers who have been unfairly overcharged to the tune of £920m in the Google PlayStore. She publishes a regular round up of digital and consumer news at: Connected Consumers
Deductive Reasoning in the Meantime
A Stand up comedian shelves his comedy notebook during the lockdown and binge reads Sherlock Holmes. He cannot stop himself observing things, but things are no longer funny. Or are they..? When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how unlikely, is sometimes stranger than fiction.
Mike Capozzola is a NY-raised, London-based comedian & cartoonist
Joel Sanders is a stand up comedian who lives on a narrow boat in London and has ambitions to perform in all 50 US states. He's very kindly stepped in to replace Rosie, who will hopefully appear at a future nerd nite later in the year.
How Breakups Keep Us Together
Award-winning comedian Rosie Wilby shares some of the insights she has gained while writing her new book The Breakup Monologues, published by Bloomsbury this May. She believes that breakups, painful as they are, can sometimes be harnessed as an opportunity for learning and growth, a catalyst for new adventures and a helpful nudge towards making better future partner choices. In fact, breakups can perhaps even help us to stay together in the long run.
Rosie Wilby is comedian, author and podcaster who has appeared many times on BBC Radio 4 programmes including Woman's Hour and Four Thought. Her first book Is Monogamy Dead? was longlisted for the Polari First Book Prize and investigated the psychology of love and relationships. Her new book The Breakup Monologues is based on her acclaimed podcast of the same name. She is on Twitter @rosiewilby and Instagram @breakupmonologues
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. this year we are partnering with The Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds.
More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook www.facebook.com/nerdnitelondon or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. for more information about The Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:30||£5.00|
|19:00 - 22:30||£7.50|
Concessions prices apply for the following groups: Students, OAP, Unemployed, Disabled, Librarians, Teachers, NHS.
|19:00 - 22:30||£2.50|
Admission + extra generous donation to the Shine Trust
Worried about austerity? Want to do a little more to help school kids thrive? Pay a little extra, and we'll donate a little extra to the Shine Trust.
|19:00 - 22:30||£10.00|
|Online (general admission)||19:30 - 22:30||£5.00|
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.