The Backyard Comedy Club in Bethnal Green is a great night out with some of the top comics from around the world! The club's Thursday night show features upcoming comedians and usually one or two special guests who are kept secret until the evening of the show, while it's Friday and Saturday shows…
Nerd Nite London May 2022
- Backyard Comedy Club
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along. This May we're going to be learning about Cemeteries, Pyschopaths and Radio Pioneers.
Be there and be square.
Address: The Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL / also online*
Details: Wed 18 May 2022. Doors open at 7PM, event starts at 7.30PM.
The online stream* will go live at 7:15PM, with the speakers starting at 7.30PM and will be available for around 24 hours.
Dead and Buried in the East End
From the grisly origins of the Victorian cemetery movement to the thriving community space you may know today, this talk will take you on a journey through Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park's history. We'll explore how London's problems with sewage and disease (and a serious lack of space) sparked a movement that changed the way we dealt with our dead forever and how the changing demographics of the East End became the cemetery's eventual downfall and we'll discover some of the stories of the people who found themselves residing with us - sadly there will be no happy endings here.
Claire is the Heritage Officer for the Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park. She works to share the stories of the Cemetery and of life and death in the East End as well as conserving this unique historic landscape and woodland for the future. Claire is also undertaking a Doctorate in Heritage at the University of Hertfordshire.
Uses and Abuses of Narcissism and Psychopathy
The terms ‘narcissist’ and ‘psychopath’ have a lot of currency in the public sphere, usually used to describe people whose choices or lifestyle seem objectionable to us. But what do these terms really mean; where do they come from, who do they describe and what is the science and clinical thinking behind their existence? With help from some case studies and research papers, I will try to show how we are all the poorer for not understanding these terms accurately.
Mark is a Reader in Mental Health in the Wolfson Institute of Population Health, Queen Mary University of London and a regular consultant to media production companies representing mental disorder. Before becoming an academic, he worked in some of Britain’s most secure prisons and hospitals.
The Woman Behind Wi-Fi: How a Movie Star Changed the World
Hedy Lamarr was one of the biggest lights Of Hollywood during the 1940s, starring in Oscar-nominated ‘Samson & Delilah’ and ‘Algiers’ amongst other films. She also worked from her trailer between shooting, co-developing the frequency-hopping technology which would become Bluetooth, GPS and Wi-Fi today. But why was she never properly credited? Find out in this talk.
Lucy is a writer and historian who co-wrote ‘Women from Hackney’s History’ and created ‘Bring Your Baby Guided London Walks’ and ‘Bring Your Baby Pub Quizzes’. She has long held an obsession with the golden age of Hollywood.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. this year we are partnering with The Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds.
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:30||£5.00|
|19:00 - 22:30||£7.50|
Concessions prices apply for the following groups: Students, OAP, Unemployed, Disabled, Librarians, Teachers, NHS.
|19:00 - 22:30||£2.50|
Admission + extra generous donation to the Shine Trust
Worried about austerity? Want to do a little more to help school kids thrive? Pay a little extra, and we'll donate a little extra to the Shine Trust.
|19:00 - 22:30||£10.00|
Online (general admission)
NOTE the online experience is not as interactive as the in-person event and it may be tricky to hear, in particular, the audience reaction. The stream goes live at 7:15PM.
|19:00 - 22:30||£5.00|
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.