The Backyard Comedy Club in Bethnal Green is a great night out with some of the top comics from around the world! The club's Thursday night show features upcoming comedians and usually one or two special guests who are kept secret until the evening of the show, while it's Friday and Saturday shows…
Nerd Nite London November 2022
- Backyard Comedy Club
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along. This November we're going to be learning about Hitchcock, Antarctica and the @ sign.
Be there and be square.
Address: The Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL / also online*
Details: Wed 16 November 2022. Doors open at 7PM, event starts at 7.30PM.
The online stream* will go live at 7:15PM, with the speakers starting at 7.30PM and will be available for around 24 hours.
Science on Ice: The U.S. Antarctic Program
Antarctica is the highest, driest, coldest, windiest and emptiest continent in the world. Every year thousands of scientists and support staff venture to some of the planet’s most remote locations to science the heck out of the frozen continent. Get the inside scoop on what’s down there, and learn about some of the amazing, cutting-edge research conducted by the U.S. Antarctic Program. Spoiler: It’s more than just penguins and glaciers.
For six years, Mike Lucibella was the editor of The Antarctic Sun, the official newspaper of the U.S. Antarctic Program. As the program’s journalist, photographer, and podcaster, he’s traveled across Antarctica, interviewing scientists and researchers at all three U.S. research stations. He is also definitely not a shape-shifting alien monster from beyond the moon. Probably.
Where it’s @
The ‘at’ sign. As part of an email address or social media handle, we barely notice it. But there’s a lot more to this workhorse of online communication than meets the eye – and Lydia Thornley has been on a voyage of nerdery to explore, via shaggy dog stories, language, weights and measures, amphorae, morse code, accidental fame, a Japanese emoticon and, marvellously, Strudel.
Lydia Thornley is a graphic designer, creative director, sketcher – and all-purpose nerd. She loves a chance to delve into random subject-matter in unnecessary detail. Thus, she gets to work with other curious people on interesting stuff, and to follow her own lines of enquiry. This is Lydia’s fifth Nerd Nite London talk.
Alfred & Alma: The Hitchcocks in Islington
Why is there an enormous sculpture of Alfred Hitchcock’s head next to the Regent’s canal? Hitchcock is one of the most recognisable and successful film directors in Hollywood history. But he started his career working in Islington where he also met his wife and unheralded constant collaborator Alma. Nigel’s talk looks back on a forgotten chapter of London’s cinematic past.
Nigel Smith is a lifelong movie nerd. He’s part of the team producing BBC Radio 4’s film and TV programme Screenshot with Mark Kermode and Ellen E Jones, co-founded the long-running Tufnell Park Film Club and now leads guided walking tours exploring London’s old cinemas. Follow him on Twitter @nigelcsmith and find out more about his tours at nigelsmithwalks.com
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. this year we are partnering with The Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds.
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:30||£5.00|
|19:00 - 22:30||£7.50|
Concessions prices apply for the following groups: Students, OAP, Unemployed, Disabled, Librarians, Teachers, NHS.
|19:00 - 22:30||£2.50|
Admission + extra generous donation to the Shine Trust
Worried about austerity? Want to do a little more to help school kids thrive? Pay a little extra, and we'll donate a little extra to the Shine Trust.
|19:00 - 22:30||£10.00|
Online (general admission)
NOTE the online experience is not as interactive as the in-person event and it may be tricky to hear, in particular, the audience reaction. The stream goes live at 7:15PM.
|19:00 - 22:30||£5.00|
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.