Nerd Nite London Livestream - September 2020
- Online Event
NERD NITE LONDON, WHERE IT’S HIP TO BE SQUARE.
Please note- We're running this event as a livestream online only until the Backyard Bar works out its socially distanced operating model. We hope to be running a hybrid livestream & in-person event from October. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter or our mailing list for details on this and future events: https://london.nerdnite.com/contact/.
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along. This September we're going to be learning about who's gonna win the Covid vaccine 'olympics', how advertising funds hate speech and fake news, and why national anthems are the most important and influential songs in the world.
Be there and be square.
Address: The Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL
Details: September 16th 2020. The stream will go live at 7pm, with the speakers starting at 7.30pm
Tickets: Early Nerd Tickets £4, General Admission £5, Extra-generous donation to Shine Trust £7.50. All proceeds will be donated to charity.
Let an Impure Blood Water our Furrows! - An Introduction to National Anthems
National Anthems are among the most important and influential songs in the world. Every country has one, but we seldom know much about our own, let alone anyone else's. Anthems have a history all of their own, and can tell you a lot about how countries wish to be perceived by their own citizens and the outside world. From rousing, sanguine marches to dirge-like hymns and impossible-to-sing operas, each anthem is unique, yet many share common themes. Learn why Latin American anthems are such good fun, and why it is so confusing when England plays Liechtenstein in football.
is originally from Chicago but he now finds himself living in London via Scotland and the Midlands. He works an unglamorous job in the City in order to fund his expensive flag habit, but honestly he can stop any time he wants...
How advertising funds hate speech
Advertising used to happen on billboards and TV to a mass audience. Now it's tailored to us, following us around the internet. This tech change has created an opportunity for fraudsters and bad actors to game it, and advertising is now a major funder of the far right according to the UN. Learn how and what we can do to stop this.
Harriet Kingaby is an award-winning communications and brand safety strategist, who has worked with some of the world’s biggest (and smallest) brands, start-ups and social enterprises. She also played a part in that Boris/Trump kiss mural that galvanised millennials to vote in the UK's EU referendum.
Harriet co-founded The Conscious Advertising Network in 2018. She’s also a Mozilla Fellow, working with Consumers International to map the opportunities and impacts of AI enhanced advertising.
All the world is waiting for a vaccine, and the big question is who will win? All of us, sure, if we get an effective vaccine, but that isn't going to stop the grand competition. Which of the many vaccines being tested will be the winner ? Which country will be the first to claim credit for producing a vaccine ? Which biotech company will get the windfall ? It's too early to accurately predict the winner, but we can speculate ! This talk will describe the different vaccines that are being tested, one of them will literally shock you.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. this year we are partnering with The Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds.
More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook www.facebook.com/nerdnitelondon or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. for more information about The Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:30||£4.00|
|19:00 - 22:30||£5.00|
Concessions prices apply for the following groups: Students, OAP, Unemployed, Disabled, Librarians, Teachers, NHS.
|19:00 - 22:30||£2.50|
Admission + extra generous donation to the Shine Trust
Worried about austerity? Want to do a little more to help school kids thrive? Pay a little extra, and we'll donate a little extra to the Shine Trust.
|19:00 - 22:30||£7.50|
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.