In Bed With...Karen Dobres...as she reveals the perfect cocktail recipe for gender equality on the pitch
- The Chambers
In Bed with... is our new series of speakers at The Chambers, the brand new Cocktail Bar at The Chamberlain.
The Chambers is kicking off its first ‘In Bed With’ session with Karen Dobres – Writer and Non-Exec Director of Lewes Football Club – the first pro club in the world where women are paid the same as men.
Karen has a unique voice on the Lewes FC Board, as before encountering Lewes FC’s equality initiative, she had no interest in football whatsoever, but now she is extremely passionate about equality in football and its impact on driving gender equality on a wider scale, giving regular talks at business and sports conferences in the UK.
The Chambers invites you to enjoy an exclusive evening, filled with entertainment, education and elegant cocktails, as Karen explores how football is levelling the playing field and becoming an engine for social change, enabling people to tackle gender equality.
Without game quality, there’s no platform for equality, so you could say, achieving gender equality in football is a balancing act, a bit like making cocktails…
Since the introduction of the Equality FC campaign in July 2017, Lewes FC became the first (and only) club in the world to treat its women's and men's teams equally. Same budget. Same stadium. Same facilities. Same support. Same everything.
Lewes FC was recently featured on The Sun for pioneering the first equal gender pay in football, and won a 'HeForShe' award from UN Women UK in September this year for being 'Inspirational in the Field of Gender Equality'. Over the last two seasons, crowd figures for Lewes FC’s women’s games have quadrupled, demonstrating the positive impact of equality.
Karen has also created the club’s SisterShips programme which is building a network of women’s organisations keen to support the club in solidarity with its equality stance, whilst the club promotes the member organisations’ work in return. This summer, Karen wrote an article for Huff Post UK about how England's Lionesses should be women’s role models.
In Bed With...Karen Dobres
Free Admission for 1
|18:00 - 19:30||Free admission|
The Chambers, The Chamberlain Hotel, 132-135 Minories, London, EC3N 1NU
Tower Hill (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.