What the Dickens?
- The George and Vulture
Why not join Peculiar London for a fabulous immersive theatre walking tour exploring the streets that inspired Dickens to write his most famous novel 'A Christmas Carol'.
The year is 1843 and Charles Dickens is in a bit of a pickle, his wife is pregnant for the 5th time, his latest novel Martin Chuzzlewit has flopped and he needs money fast.
His publisher suggest that if he's quick he could get something out in time for Christmas, but what should he write about? he takes to the streets of Bank for inspiration, and maybe stops for a drink along the way..
Inspired by the real life circumstances in which Dickens created 'A Christmas Carol' join us we venture down the winding alleys of London's financial capital, learn some fascinating facts about the history of the much loved Christmas novel including the landmarks that are mentioned by name and the real life character that 'Scrooge' was based on.
UPDATE: WE HAVE A VERY EXCITING PIECE OF NEWS FOR ALL YOU DICKEN'S FANS! PECULIAR LONDON HAVE TEAMED UP WITH THE LOVELY MANAGEMENT AT 'THE GEORGE AND VULTURE', BANK : AN ANCIENT AND EXCLUSIVE CITY INSTITUTION THAT WAS A FAVOURITE HAUNT OF DICKENS ( IT IS MENTIONED BY NAME IN SEVERAL OF HIS NOVELS, AND REMAINS PRETTY MUCH UNCHANGED SINCE HIS DAY!) THE MANAGEMENT HAVE KINDY AGREED TO NOT ONLY ALLOW OUR GUESTS TO STOP IN FOR A DRINK BUT ALSO TO HAVE A NOSEY ROUND THEIR COLLECTION OF DICKENS MEMORABILA!
We will also be helping you get into the spirit with a FREE Christmas tipple!
Finishes at Leadenhall market approx 10 minute walk from Bank station
SUNDAY PERFORMANCES: 6PM-8.15PM
WEEKDAY PERFORMANCES: 7.30-9.45PM
(please choose booking option sunday ticket if booking for sunday)
WEEK DAT TICKET (mon-weds)
please choose this ticket if you are booking to come on the duuring the week (mon-weds)
|19:30 - 21:45||£20.00|
|18:00 - 20:15||£20.00|
The George and Vulture, 3, Castle street, London, EC3V 9AE
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.