The Betsey Trotwood definitely isn't your typical pub. A Victorian setting amalgamated with an eclectic range of cultural happenings make it quite the distinct venue. Divided into three floors you'll find the bar area on the ground floor, an underground atmospheric cellar gig venue and on the upperlevel…
The Poetry Brothel 'Confessions from the Gutter'
- No reviews.
- The Betsey Trotwood
After a successful debut in The West End, The Poetry Brothel London returns to the streets of Dickensian London to howl at conventions and falsehood and to spread our tapestry of fiery, insightful and compelling poetry. History is not only to be told by the victors but by the voices of the marginalised, the unheard, the unconsoled and the forgotten by the establishment. The Poetry Brothel London is funnelling the spirit of Dickens, Jack London, Orwell and collectively summoning a catharsis of both hope and despair. All of this of course in a setting of passion, entertainment, plenitude and desire. Performances all night by our fabulous Poetry Whores.
The Betsey Trotwood is one of the last beacons of authenticity in poetry and alternative music in the London scene. Templar Poetry, Ambit, John Hegley, Tim Wells and other iconic poetical institutions have run and run excellent nights of poetry here. We are taking over the three floors and recreating a Victorian brothel of flesh and words.
Tarot readings and burlesque.
Imagine beauty encapsulated in the literary expression of a powerful psyche. Imagine purchasing a portion of a poet's mental anatomy. Imagine being locked in a perfumed room with a spirit and a flesh of your own choosing, jaunting through the alleyways and corridors of an artist's consciousness. Imagine sexiness and poems dancing together like flames with the wind.
The Poetry Brothel is a unique and immersive poetry event that takes poetry away from classrooms, lecture halls and Ivory towers and places it in the lush, radiant and fiery interiors of a bordello. Based on the concept of the fin-de-siecle bordellos in New Orleans and Paris, many of which functioned as safe havens for fledgling, avant-garde artists, The Poetry Brothel presents a rotating cast of "poetry whores" each operating within a carefully constructed character. For a small fee, you can purchase a piece of the "whore's" poetical spirit and absorb yourself in the true nature of one-on-one poetry readings in back rooms and other secret and intimate spaces.
|Standard||20:00 - 01:00||£15.00|
56 Farringdon Road EC1R3BL
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.