Hackney Attic is a fun-time bar come flexible space above Hackney Picturehouse; alongside their films they host DJ parties, film quizzes and comedy nights. Whether you want to check out the live music, or get on stage yourself at the open mic or spoken word nights, there is always some quirky event taking…
Nerd Nite and Science Showoff do Speed Dating
- No reviews.
- Hackney Attic
May the fourth is Star Wars Day and so it holds a special and auspicious place in the nerd calendar. That’s why the folks at Nerd Nite London and Science Showoff have chosen this date to hold their first ever Speed Dating event, providing smart, interesting nerdy men and women with a chance to meet the one. (Just in case you’re wondering it’s not a fancy dress event, unless you’re always in cosplay)
Before the slightly awkward nerdy speed dating begins, we’ll have a talk from Scientist and TV expert Dr Emily Grossman on ‘X –Rated Weird and Wonderful Science Facts’ to help get the conversation flowing.
Did you know that two thirds of people turn their head to the right when kissing? Or that some animals eat their own babies? Would it surprise you to discover that some insects leave their penis behind in the female after sex? Or that one crazy creature rips off its penis and throws it at the female… so she can inseminate herself? Is it possible that you make better decisions when you need a wee? All these will be covered by Dr Emily.
Tickets are strictly limited to 40 attendees (20 men, 20 women).
At the event:
Guests will be greeted by a member of the Nerd Nite London team on arrival, before the evening events kick off with a talk from Dr Emily on ‘‘X –Rated Weird and Wonderful Science Facts’.
Then after the talk, the dating begins. This will follow the standard speed dating format where you chat to someone for four minutes and then speak to the next individual. Everyone will be noting down which nerds they want to see again.
At the end of the dates we’ll collect the score cards and get in touch with the matched individuals so they can take things further (if they want too!). The whole thing will be kept ticking over by host Steve Cross.
Photo by Full Circle Photography Calgary https://www.facebook.com/fullcirclephotocalgary?__mref=message_bubble
Male - speed dating
Nerd Nite/ Science Showoff speed dating for men
|19:00 - 22:00||£20.00|
Female - speed dating
Nerd Nite/ Science Showoff speed dating for women
|19:00 - 22:00||£20.00|
270, Mare Street, E8 1HE
Hackney Central (Rail)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.