Once frequented by HRH King George IV, this stunning Farringdon traditional pub, once favoured for its gambling is now a favourite for its sublime selection of beers and stunning function room. Furnished in the style of a traditional London boozer, The Castle is filled with wooden tables and chairs,leather…
Dead Man's Hand
Jack Spade thought he had been dealt the right cards, but reckless gambling seems to have cost him his life. All those who sat around the poker table that night have something to hide, but can your party work out which card sharp was responsible for his murder? If you’re ready to go all-in, then the nearby streets hold the clues and characters, but you’ll need all your cunning, and maybe a favour or two from Lady Luck, to catch the killer.
After a string of sell-out shows and rave reviews in 2018, A Door In A Wall are returning to the alleys and alehouses of Farringdon, giving a new cadre of ace detectives the chance to try their hands at this classic case.
The Castle Farringdon will play host to illicit gambling den The Underhand Club, the starting point for a high-stakes tale of double-dealing poker players and bets gone bad. Players must work in teams to collect clues, meet characters and gather evidence in the great outdoors to get what they need to solve the case and save the club.
The game will run on Saturday afternoons throughout the summer of 2019. Dead Man’s Hand is an experience designed for teams and a group size of 3-6 is suggested. See below for more FAQs.
The game combines the best elements of immersive theatre, escape rooms, treasure hunts, storytelling and comedy, to create a unique immersive experience packed with mystery and puns. Become the main character in this real-world adventure as you solve the case of the Dead Man's Hand.
How does the game work?
On arrival at the starting venue, we'll check your tickets and get your team seated. You'll be asked to register your team name (puns may mean prizes) and we'll give you all the information you need to play the game. Provided you're on time, you'll have about 45 mins to get settled and work out where to begin your investigation before the game's opening scene. You'll be tasked with gathering evidence to crack the case and you'll then have two hours to explore the area outside: solving puzzles, interacting with characters and collecting clues. Once the time is up, return to the starting venue where you'll have some time to make sense of what you've found and identify the killer. We'll mark your answers, reveal the truth and give out the all-important prizes.
Where is the venue?
What time does it start?
Games will start at 13:00. You can arrive up to 30 minutes after the listed start time.
What time does it finish?
The game will finish by 5:30pm.
What should I bring?
Other than your wits? A charged smartphone and a pen will come in handy, as will some insightful friends. We’d recommend attire appropriate for exploring the streets of Farringdon too. Most importantly, you’ll want to arrive armed with a pun-tastic team name.
This is a team game?
Yes. We suggest a team size of 3-6, but there are no formal limits. You can play as a couple, or a larger group if you wish. This game could be played as a solo adventure but it's way more fun playing with other people. Teams must stay together during the game and you'll need a good team name of course - there may even be a best name prize. Note that we don't arrange people into teams ourselves so make sure you've organised a team to play with before booking!
Do all members of a team have to book their tickets together?
No. How you arrange teams on the day is not dictated by how the tickets were purchased.
I have a big group (20+) that all want to play together, can we?
Yes, absolutely! There are group tickets listed at a discounted rate on the tickets page for each date. You'll still want to split into smaller teams though.
Can we run the game as a private event?
If there are more than 20 or 25 of you in a group, then definitely. Drop us a line on email@example.com and we'll have a look at the best options for you!
Will there be food and drink available?
Certainly. The Castle will be running a bar and kitchen service on arrival, and when you return to the venue. If you arrive in good time and get your orders in, there's definitely time to have some lunch before you head out in search of clues.
What’s the closest station to the venue?
Farringdon, on the Circle, Hammersmith & City, and Metropolitan lines. Barbican is also nearby.
How do I win?
Once the time for gathering evidence is over, you will be invited to answer questions on the case. The team whose answers score the highest will win the game, but they must also correctly identify the killer. There may also be a prize for the best team name.
Can I bring children?
Unfortunately the game is for over 18s only. The venue is only for those aged 18 and over, and the game is pitched at an adult level of difficulty and parts of the game may include adult humour and language.
Curses, the date I want is sold out! Do you offer a wait list or returns?
Dead Man's Hand - Standard Ticket
You will need one ticket for each member of your team. Doors open at 13:00 - don't be late! Tickets will not be available on the door.
|13:00 - 17:30||£32.50|
Dead Man's Hand - Group Member (10+) Ticket
These tickets are at a discounted rate for groups of 10 or more. You will need one ticket for each member of your team. Doors open at 13:00 - don't be late! Tickets will not be available on the door.
|13:00 - 17:30||£29.25|
34-35 Cowcross Street EC1M 6DB
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be transferred, exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.
13: An email is required upon purchasing your ticket so that we can send you purchase confirmation, as well as information pertaining to the details of the event itself. We will never use your data for marketing purposes. By purchasing a ticket, you are consenting to this arrangement.