'Best Club & Bar...' Time Out Awards 2015 + 2016 'Entertainment Club of the Year' Club Awards 2015 Turn onto Phoenix Street, off Charing Cross Road and you should spot the entrance to The Phoenix Arts Club and as Dick Van Dyke said in his best Cockney in Mary Poppins: “That there is what youmight…
Forbidden Planet Presents: An Evening with Grady Hendrix
- No reviews.
- Phoenix Arts Club
JOIN AUTHOR AND SCREENWRITER GRADY HENDRIX AS HE GUIDES US THROUGH PAPERBACKS FROM HELL!
To celebrate the launch of THE SOUTHERN BOOK CLUB’S GUIDE TO SLAYING VAMPIRES, Forbidden Planet and Quirk Books invite you to a very special event at The Phoenix Artists’ Club.
On Tuesday 14th April from 6 – 8pm, join author and screenwriter GRADY HENDRIX as he guides us through Paperbacks From Hell.
Tickets cost £15 (concessions £13), including a complimentary copy of THE SOUTHERN BOOK CLUB’S GUIDE TO SLAYING VAMPIRES, signed by Grady. Take time to have a drink at the bar, speak to Grady his work, and browse our range of other titles, available on the night!
THE SOUTHERN GUIDE TO SLAYING VAMPIRES introduces us to Patricia Campbell, whose life has never felt smaller.
Her ambitious husband is too busy to give her a good-bye kiss in the morning, her kids have their own lives, her senile mother-in-law needs constant care, and she’s always a step behind on thank-you notes and her endless list of chores.
The one thing she has to look forward to is her book club, a close-knit group of Charleston women united by their love of true crime and paperback fiction. At these meetings, they’re as likely to talk about the Manson family, as they are marriage, motherhood, and neighbourhood gossip.
This predictable pattern is upended when Patricia meets James Harris, a handsome stranger who moves into the neighbourhood to take care of his elderly aunt and ends up joining the book club.
James is sensitive and well-read, and he makes Patricia feel things she hasn’t felt in twenty years. But there’s something off about him. He doesn’t have a bank account, he doesn’t like going out during the day, and Patricia’s mother-in-law insists that she knew him when she was a girl - an impossibility.
When local children go missing, Patricia and the book club members start to suspect James is more of a Bundy than a Beatnik, but no one outside of the book club believes them. Have they read too many true crime books,
or have they invited a real monster into their homes?
Grady Hendrix is fast becoming the doyen of horror fiction history, spearheading the Paperbacks from Hell/Valencourt re-issues, which publishes facsimile editions of old paperback horror novels with his own introductions. He is also the screenwriter of Mohawk (2017), a horror movie about the War of 1812, and Satanic Panic (2019), a horror movie about a pizza delivery woman battling rich Satanists. He’s one of the founders of the New York Asian Film Festival, which the New York Times called ‘one of the city’s most valuable events.’
|Unreserved Seating (Full Price)||18:00 - 20:00||£15.00|
|Unreserved Seating (Concession)||18:00 - 20:00||£13.00|
1, Phoenix Street, WC2H 8BU
Tottenham Court Road (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.