The Backyard Comedy Club in Bethnal Green is a great night out with some of the top comics from around the world! The club's Thursday night show features upcoming comedians and usually one or two special guests who are kept secret until the evening of the show, while it's Friday and Saturday shows…
Nerd Nite London - October 2022
- Backyard Comedy Club
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along. This October, we're going to be learning about Hadyn's tarnished reputation, how the British media thinks Jews look and what the heck is the metaverse is!
Be there and be square.
Address: The Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL / also online*
Details: Wed 19 October 2022. Doors open at 7PM, event starts at 7.30PM.
The online stream* will go live at 7:15PM, with the speakers starting at 7.30PM and will be available for around 24 hours.
Joseph Haydn was named the 'Father of the String Quartet' and his legacy still lives on. But how did he also get dragged into an incredibly tangled affair including scheming, pseudo-science, lawsuit wars and one of the most elaborate funeral plans in the history of classical music? To say any more would require a spoiler alert...
Ripley F. is a proofreader/editor who, in a previous life, was a concert pianist in Greece. Ripley currently sings in a humanist choir, and enjoys reading and baking.
Jews and stock photos
Why all Jews look exactly the same? Well no, all Jews do not look exactly the same. But the British media often use exactly the same stock photo to illustrate articles about Jews - and you have almost certainly seen it. Keith Kahn-Harris has tracked down the story behind the stock photo and has gone even further: Collaborating with the photographer on a book designed to show that not all Jews wear black hats and have long beards.
Keith Kahn-Harris is a sociologist and writer. His latest books are The Babel Message: A Love Letter to Language and What does a Jew look like?
The metaverse says: you're awful.
The ‘metaverse’ is one of the newest and most insufferable tech buzzwords that’s been sloshing up and down our newsfeeds recently. Five years ago, if you wanted someone to fund your idea, you probably needed to put the word ‘blockchain’ or ‘AI’ into the email subject line — now all you need is ‘metaverse’. What’s with all the hype? And what the heck is a ‘metaverse’ anyway? In this talk we will take a look at why everyone’s talking about it, what it is, and how it might shape our personal internet futures.
Georgia Iacovou is a writer who lives in London with two cats and one chicken. To make money, she writes persuasive policy papers for government officials to read, so that they might be more well-equipped to make laws that actually regulate the tech sector. She also writes the popular weekly tech newsletter Horrific/Terrific, and produces a quarterly zine of dystopian fiction called Mutual Dislike.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. this year we are partnering with The Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds.
More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook at nerdnitelondon or visiting london.nerdnite.com. for more information about The Shine Trust visit shinetrust.org.uk.
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:30||£5.00|
|19:00 - 22:30||£7.50|
Concessions prices apply for the following groups: Students, OAP, Unemployed, Disabled, Librarians, Teachers, NHS.
|19:00 - 22:30||£2.50|
Admission + extra generous donation to the Shine Trust
Worried about austerity? Want to do a little more to help school kids thrive? Pay a little extra, and we'll donate a little extra to the Shine Trust.
|19:00 - 22:30||£10.00|
Online (general admission)
NOTE the online experience is not as interactive as the in-person event and it may be tricky to hear, in particular, the audience reaction. The stream goes live at 7:15PM.
|19:00 - 22:30||£5.00|
231, Cambridge Heath Road, E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
Getting thereCitymapper Google Maps
Nerd Nite London
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.