Comedian Lee Hurst's re-established Backyard Bar in Bethnal Green showcases pro acts and the rising stars of comedy. This London comedy club attracted 300 people for the opening show and promises big things to come. Connected to a Travelodge and known for its friendly, relaxed atmosphere visitorscan…
Nerd Nite London Livestream - March 2020
- Backyard Bar & Comedy Club
NERD NITE LONDON, WHERE IT’S HIP TO BE SQUARE.
Update: this event is no longer being held at Backyard Comedy Club. The bar will still be open but we won't be there. We're instead planning to run it as an livestream online at the normal time. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter or our mailing list for details on this and future events: https://london.nerdnite.com/contact/.
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along. This March we're finding out why drugs aren't all bad, what life is like when you can't recognise faces and how swearing can be good for you.
Be there and be square.
Address: The Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL
Details: March 18th, 2020
Tickets: Early Nerd Tickets £6, General Admission £7.50, Extra-generous donation to Shine Trust £10
Doors Open At 7pm, Event Starts: 7.30pm.
Bar Opens At 5pm.
Talk Yourself Better
Pharmaceutical drugs have a bad rap. Critics often ask the question: 'Why can't depressed people just have therapy instead?' This talk will provide the answer and explain why psychotropic drugs are still a much-needed and valid treatment. It will also explore the downsides of meds, and discuss the importance of advocating for yourself and doing your own research.
Ariane Sherine was a journalist (Guardian, Sunday Times) and created the Atheist Bus Campaign (the 'Probably No God' ads on buses) before having a full-scale nervous breakdown. These days she's on three psychotropic drugs, and what she doesn't know about them could be written on the side of an olanzapine tablet.
I Always Forget A Face
Face blindness (a.k.a. Prosopagnosia) affects 2% of the population – and most of those who have it may not actually know that they do. If you’ve ever found yourself embarrassed by not remembering who someone is, it could be you. I’ll be giving examples, showing you how to tell if you have it, what you can do about it, and explaining how I nearly bought the wrong blonde in a pub her dinner.
Swearing is Good for You
With f-bombs and footnotes, Dr Emma Byrne will arm you with the science of swearing. Learn how to use it to kill pain, bond teams, and deal with all the shit going on right now. Armed with copious research receipts, she'll make the case that you - yes you - really should give a fuck. This is a follow-up to Emma's 2018 Nerd Nite talk featuring new material on gender, civility, and protest
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. this year we are partnering with The Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds.
More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook www.facebook.com/nerdnitelondon or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. for more information about The Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:30||£6.00|
|19:00 - 22:30||£7.50|
Concessions prices apply for the following groups: Students, OAP, Unemployed, Disabled, Librarians, Teachers, NHS.
|19:00 - 22:30||£5.00|
Admission + extra generous donation to the Shine Trust
Worried about austerity? Want to do a little more to help school kids thrive? Pay a little extra, and we'll donate a little extra to the Shine Trust.
|19:00 - 22:30||£10.00|
231, Cambridge Heath Road, E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.