Comedian Lee Hurst's re-established Backyard Bar in Bethnal Green showcases pro acts and the rising stars of comedy. This London comedy club attracted 300 people for the opening show and promises big things to come. Connected to a Travelodge and known for its friendly, relaxed atmosphere visitorscan…
Nerd Nite London - October 2019
- Backyard Bar & Comedy Club
NERD NITE LONDON, WHERE IT’S HIP TO BE SQUARE.
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along. This October we'll discover how to engage everyone in
economics, why coal hole covers are beautiful and what's underneath Chicago. Be there and be square
Address: the Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL
Details: Wednesday, May 15
Tickets: Early nerd tickets £6, general admission £7.50.
Doors open at 7pm, event starts: 7.30pm
Bar opens at 5pm.
Building a citizens' economy: engaging the public on complex and controversial policy
Engaging the public on technocratic issues, such as data, artificial intelligence and economic policy faces two challenges; one, how best to ensure we understand informed public perspectives? two, how best to ensure public values influence practical outcomes and change? This talk provides examples about how most effectively to create a citizens' economy.
Reema is a Head of Public Engagement at the Ada Lovelace Institute, an organisation seeking to ensure that data & AI work for people and society. She is an experienced policy professional who has led various citizen engagement and participation initiatives on complex and controversial policy areas in the UK, including the Royal Society of Arts (RSA) Citizens’ Economic Council, which successfully worked with and influenced the Bank of England’s public engagement strategy.
The Beauty of Victorian Coal-Hole Covers
Coal-hole covers are a remnant of a gone-by era when a great amount of detail went into the design of the most utilitarian street furniture objects like access covers. Often overlooked under our feet, these decorative cast iron circular manhole covers offer a fascinating glimpse into the past and come in many different designs. Some are very common, while others are extremely rare. This talk will present a unique photographic survey of all the coal-hole cover designs in one London district conducted by a local history fanatic in Stoke Newington.
Amir is a weekend Stoke Newington historian who researches the area's past as a serious hobby and shares his work online at www.StokeNewingtonHistory.com. He previously presented in a Nerd Nite his survey and analysis of the businesses that traded along Stoke Newington Church Street since 1847.
The raising of Chicago
The fascinating story of a pioneer who lifted an entire city on jackscrews, in order to make it less filthy. How we got from the poop-covered streets of the past to the squeaky clean urban environment of today, and how the secret "second city" that exists beneath your feet was first conceived.
Mike Dioletis is a former mechanical engineering student from Athens who left to pursue his passion in media. He currently writes and hosts a science show on Greek YouTube called "What the fact?". A happy college dropout if I ever saw one.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. This year we are partnering with the Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds.
More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook www.facebook.com/NerdNiteLondon or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. For more information about the Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:00||£6.00|
|19:00 - 22:00||£7.50|
|Disability discount||19:00 - 22:30||£5.00|
231, Cambridge Heath Road, E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.