Comedian Lee Hurst's re-established Backyard Bar in Bethnal Green showcases pro acts and the rising stars of comedy. This London comedy club attracted 300 people for the opening show and promises big things to come. Connected to a Travelodge and known for its friendly, relaxed atmosphere visitorscan…
Nerd Nite London - October 2018
- Backyard Bar & Comedy Club
NERD NITE LONDON, WHERE IT’S HIP TO BE SQUARE.
WE HOST A MONTHLY EVENT IN EAST LONDON WHERE WE INVITE NERDS TO COME SPEAK ABOUT INTERESTING STUFF, WHILE WE DRINK BEER AND LEARN THINGS. EVIDENCE BASED ENTERTAINMENT, IN A BAR.. THIS MONTH WE DISCUSS WHAT WE CAN DO WITH OUR BODIES AFTER WE DIE, HOW THE UP COMING WORLD CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP IS PLAYING OUT AND WHY SUPERCONDUCTORS ARE WAY COOLER THAN YOU THINK .
BE THERE AND BE SQUARE
Over your dead body! What will you do with your corpse after your death?
Some people get excited about being eaten by vultures. Yes, but just how would that work in E2?...Others think 'green' burials are 'the way to go' and cremation has got to be a bad thing: is that true? This talk takes us into the flesh, sinews and joints of the corpse itself. From soil, fire, liquid lime and freezing: what can and should we do with it after it's given us its last day?
Sophie has been a tree nerd (good to cut them down, sometimes) and is now deep into spuds (not that hard to cook), chairing the Potato Board. Her excursion into corpses has helped her calm down about her own end, just a bit: not morbid, just wanting to make the most of the time. Soap not shower gel; films not box sets; bikes not gyms; flatlands of Essex and hills of the mind.
The world chess championship: clash of the titans and the wider chess scene in the 21st century
In 1886 an Austrian named Wilhelm Steinitz decided that his next chess game would be to decide "the Championship of the World" - and thus the first World Chess Champion was crowned. From these humble beginnings, 20 men have earned that title - through both fair means and foul. And in November 2018 the World Championship match is coming right here to London! Pitting the champion - part-time Norwegian male model millionaire Magnus Carlsen - against his challenger Fabiano Caruana, a more sterotypical chess player. We'll explore the trash-talk behind the scenes, the organising body who make FIFA look like an ethical social enterprise, their President who's been abducted by aliens, the pornographic logo, and finally, what to expect over the 64 black and white squares come November.
Henry C. Blanchard is an undefeated ChessBoxer, philosophy/physics grad, start up mentor and all round amateur geek.
Self Defence for Time Travellers
With time travel inching closer to reality century after century, non-lethal combat techniques are needed now more than ever for keeping travellers safe while protecting the intended flow of historical events
Mike Capozzola is a London-based, professional comedian and a published cartoonist (WIRED, Private Eye, Prospect Magazine, MAD Magazine, Bird Watchers Digest). He moved to the U.K. from San Francisco in early 2018.
Mike has a live, multimedia ‘nerd-comedy’ show “Evil Cyborg Sea Monsters.” It’s part stand up comedy/ part slide show made for Sci-Fi & Comic book fans.
He’s done show at comic cons, comedy festivals, museums, libraries and theatres around the USA & U.K.including MCM London Comic Con, Leamington Spa Comedy Festival, San Francisco Comic Con Dublin Comic Con and the Chabot Space & Science Center in Oakland, California.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. This year we are partnering with the Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds. More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook www.facebook.com/NerdNiteLondon or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. For more information about the Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:00||£6.00|
|19:00 - 22:00||£7.50|
231 Cambridge Heath Road E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.