Comedian Lee Hurst's re-established Backyard Bar in Bethnal Green showcases pro acts and the rising stars of comedy. This London comedy club attracted 300 people for the opening show and promises big things to come. Connected to a Travelodge and known for its friendly, relaxed atmosphere visitorscan…
Nerd Nite London- October 2017
- Backyard Bar & Comedy Club
- No reviews.
Nerd Nite London- October 17th
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along.
Address: the Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL
Details: Tuesday October 17th.
Tickets: Early nerd tickets £6, general admission £7.50.
Doors open 6.30pm, event starts 7.30pm
This month we’ll be learning why we forget, the story behind the ampersand (&)and all about the bad ass feminists of nature. Be there and be square.
#1 Why am I always forgetting where my keys are? How memory in the brain works
Are you typically forgetting where you put your keys? Which events do you remember well? What you had for lunch yesterday? The clothes you were wearing at your wedding? What you did three weeks ago? Clearly some memories stay and some don't. Why? Let's see what happens in your brain while you are memorizing...
Dr Claudia Clopath is a Lecturer in the Bioengineering Department at Imperial College London. Her passion is to understand how the brain works. She loves computers, maths, and models. This is her second nerd nite talk.
Pedants argue over when it should and shouldn't be used. Typographers wallow around for hours finding exactly the one they're after. But how have ampersands evolved? What are the strangest ones? Lydia has been on a voyage of nerdery to find out.
On the unreliable evidence of an ad for paintbrushes, Lydia Thornley has been making images since she was in a high chair. Now a communication designer, Lydia's decider for taking on projects is, "Is it interesting?".
#3 Bad Ass Feminists* of Nature
Which creatures have the most bad ass females? Find out about sexual dimorphism in a variety of creatures and learn about the lizards that don't even need a male.
Catherine Webb is writer, teacher, podcast maker and science enthusiast. She is currently studying for a science communication master’s degree at Imperial College London. She is also (of course!) a strident feminist.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. This year we are partnering with the Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds. More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook www.facebook.com/NerdNiteLondon or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. For more information about the Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
*we can’t with 100% certainty claim that these animals understand the concepts of feminism, but you never know.
Early Nerd (limited availability)
|19:30 - 22:30||£6.00|
|19:30 - 22:30||£7.50|
231 Cambridge Heath Road E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
231 Cambridge Heath Road E2 0EL
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.
Thanks for your review. You've earned 10 points! Check your balance here.