The Backyard Comedy Club in Bethnal Green is a great night out with some of the top comics from around the world! The club's Thursday night show features upcoming comedians and usually one or two special guests who are kept secret until the evening of the show, while it's Friday and Saturday shows…
Nerd Nite London - November 2019
- Backyard Comedy Club
NERD NITE LONDON, WHERE IT’S HIP TO BE SQUARE.
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along. This November we ask is monogamy dead? How we can use maths to plan better parties? And how was King Shulgi different from the rest of the Third Dynasty of Ur?
Address: The Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL
Details: 17 November 2019
Tickets: Early Nerd Tickets £6, General Admission £7.50.
Doors Open At 7pm, Event Starts: 7.30pm. Bar Opens At 5pm.
Is Monogamy Dead?
In many surveys, around 50 percent of people confess to cheating. So, if you’re in a monogamous relationship and you’re not cheating ... you’d better look closely at your partner! Comedian, writer and broadcaster Rosie Wilby unpacks some of the surprising results of her own survey that she conducted as research for her first book Is Monogamy Dead? Are we all a bit more polyamorous than we admit? She also discusses new relationship terminology and ponders why lesbians divorce at a much faster rate than gay men.
Rosie Wilby is an award-winning comedian who has appeared many times on BBC Radio 4 programmes including Woman’s Hour and Four Thought, TV programmes including Good Morning Britain and at festivals including Latitude and Glastonbury. Her book Is Monogamy Dead? was shortlisted for the Diva Literary Awards 2017 and longlisted for the Polari First Book Prize 2018. Rosie also presents The Breakup Monologues podcast, which has been recommended by Chortle, The Observer, Metro and Time Out. Twitter: @rosiewilby Insta: @breakupmonologues
Your New Favourite Ancient Tyrant
All kings of the Third Dynasty of Ur were the same, right? Wrong. King Shulgi wasn’t like the rest. They just made ziggurats and huge libraries of cuneiform clay tablets. Okay, Shulgi did all of that too, but he did something else besides - and 1500 years before the ancient Greeks.
Andy Riley is an Emmy-winning comedy writer whose credits include Year of The Rabbit, Veep, Black Books, Armstrong and Miller, Little Britain, Tracey Ullman’s Show and Smack The Pony. He’s also a cartoonist whose books include the Bunny Suicides series and Great Lies to Tell Small Kids (all for grownups) and the King Flashypants series (for children).
Let's have a maths party
Not everyone would immediately think of maths as a key component of party planning. This talk looks at how mathematical thinking can be applied to help solve problems in our everyday life, including the planning of weddings and special occasions.
Zoe Griffiths is a mathematician who began her career talking about maths as a classroom maths teacher. She is now a maths communicator, presenting to audiences in schools and at science festivals with Think Maths. Zoe dabbles in comedy and recently performed at Robin Ince's Christmas variety show 'Nine Lessons and Carols for Curious People'. Twitter: @ZoeLGriffiths
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. this year we are partnering with The Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds.
More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook www.facebook.com/nerdnitelondon or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. for more information about The Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:00||£6.00|
|19:00 - 22:00||£7.50|
|Disability discount||19:00 - 22:30||£5.00|
231, Cambridge Heath Road, E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.