Comedian Lee Hurst's re-established Backyard Bar in Bethnal Green showcases pro acts and the rising stars of comedy. This London comedy club attracted 300 people for the opening show and promises big things to come. Connected to a Travelodge and known for its friendly, relaxed atmosphere visitorscan…
Nerd Nite London- November 2017
- No reviews.
- Backyard Bar & Comedy Club
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along.
Address: the Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL
Details: Tuesday November 21st
Tickets: Early nerd tickets £6, general admission £7.50.
Doors open: 6.30pm, event starts: 7.30pm
This month we’ll be learning about the Japafication of food, why mobiles have changed everything but the movies, and some LGBTQ etymology. With special guest host Dominique Morneau.
Japafied: Using History and Data to invent new and daricious foods
From sushi to tempura to ramen, Japan has a history of importing foods from other countries and passing them off as their own. By the end of this talk, you too will be able to take any dish and make it Japanese, using a Japafication method based on data, history, and three basic culinary prompts.
Growing up Canadian in a mixed Japanese-German household, Hana Etsuko Dethlefsen is perfectly poised to translate authentic Japanese cooking to an English-speaking audience. While living in Japan she did just that: her monthly column, Forking with Hana helped fellow ex-pats navigate the grocery aisles and keep them well fed. Author of Let’s Cooking and co-host of “One World Kitchen”, Hana now spends her days managing the Hackney museum and developing recipes for her new cookbook.
the invention of lesbianism
The LGBTQ community uses many words to describe itself, but where did these words come from and how did they come to be associated with us? This talk looks at the history of words such as lesbian and queer, tracing them all the way back to their first recorded uses.
Cerys Bradley is a PhD student, stand up comedian and amateur LGBT+ historian who researches Dark Net Markets by day and the history of the community by night, well, early evening and at the weekends
Mobile has changed everything but the movies
In a little under 25 years mobile phones and smart phones have transformed the word. Two thirds of the 7.5bn people on Planet Earth have them, with many countries having more phones than people. But you wouldn’t know it by watching the movies. In this talk Peter will show data and case studies of the transformation of the world, and Hollywood’s best efforts to ignore it.
Peter Gasston is an author, speaker and technologist at a digital agency in London. He’s been around long enough to remember life without mobile phones.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. This year we are partnering with the Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds. More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook www.facebook.com/NerdNiteLondon or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. For more information about the Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:00||£6.00|
|19:00 - 22:00||£7.50|
231 Cambridge Heath Road E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.