The Backyard Comedy Club in Bethnal Green is a great night out with some of the top comics from around the world! The club's Thursday night show features upcoming comedians and usually one or two special guests who are kept secret until the evening of the show, while it's Friday and Saturday shows…
Nerd Nite London - March 2019
- Backyard Comedy Club
NERD NITE LONDON, WHERE IT’S HIP TO BE SQUARE.
WE HOST A MONTHLY EVENT IN EAST LONDON WHERE WE INVITE NERDS TO COME SPEAK ABOUT INTERESTING STUFF, WHILE WE DRINK BEER AND LEARN THINGS. EVIDENCE BASED ENTERTAINMENT, IN A BAR.. THIS MONTH WE DISCUSS BRAIN CONTROL, TERRIFYING MUSHROOMS AND AN INTRO TO TYPOGRAPHY
BE THERE AND BE SQUARE
Brain control using electricity and magnets
Magnets and electricity have the power to change the way the body functions. These tools can be used for good, such as to help brain damage, and potentially for evil, if you want to control someone else! Can you remove someone’s free will and move their body with YOUR brain? Come to the talk and find out!
Helen is a Lecturer in Cognitive Neuroscience at Lancaster University. She studies how the speech and movement areas of the brain work in adult humans. She does not abuse her access to magnets or electricity to mind-control her subjects.
Why we should all be terrified of mushrooms
With names like the Devil's Fingers, Bleeding Tooth, Destroying Angel and Dog Stinkhorn mushrooms, it's frankly surprising more people aren't afraid of them. Learn how a single mushroom can release up to 2.7 billion ballistospores per day and what stops those spores from growing in our lungs and suffocating us. We’ll take a dive deep into how underground networks of mycelia roots let mushrooms communicate and even poison other plants, and why they're the most likely cause of a zombie apocalypse (seriously, mushrooms are terrifying).
Michelle is not a mycologist, and is in no way academically qualified to talk about mushrooms. She is, however, mycophobic, and having earned two degrees by rambling about dystopian worlds in a paranoid fashion, this talk was just a matter of time. By day she works in marketing, trying not to think about mushrooms (or the end of the world).
Just my type: a brief introduction to typography
Is it “font” or “typeface”? Why would you choose Times New Roman over Helvetica? What’s my type? Calibri? In this Nerd Nite talk, Jen Ku will give you an intro to typography and the power behind the little letters we use, see, and read everyday; hopefully bringing you closer to finding your type or taking a second thought when urging to choose that Comic Sans.
Jen is a designer, lettering artist and type nerd. She dreams, thinks and tells her stories through typography. Her obsession with type brought her onto exciting adventures, saved her from becoming the doctor or lawyer her parents wanted her to be, and shaped her into the creative she is today.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. This year we are partnering with the Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds. More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook www.facebook.com/NerdNiteLondon or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. For more information about the Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:00||£6.00|
|19:00 - 22:00||£7.50|
231, Cambridge Heath Road, E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.