Comedian Lee Hurst's re-established Backyard Bar in Bethnal Green showcases pro acts and the rising stars of comedy. This London comedy club attracted 300 people for the opening show and promises big things to come. Connected to a Travelodge and known for its friendly, relaxed atmosphere visitorscan…
Nerd Nite London- January 2018
- Backyard Bar & Comedy Club
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along.
Address: the Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL
Details: Wednesday January 17th
Tickets: Early nerd tickets £6, general admission £7.50.
Doors open: 6.30pm, event starts: 7.30pm
New year, new nerds, new facts. Welcome to 2018. This month we’ll be learning about 3D printing, quantum physics, and the history of London in one street. Be there and be square.
A London Street Through Time - Stoke Newington Church Street 1847-2017
London streets have changed considerably since the early Victorian period as once-quiet residential streets became bustling commercial hubs, suffered post-war decline and in some cases were slowly gentrified over time. Amir will present his analysis of the commercial occupants of Stoke Newington Church Street from 1847 to the present day (291 properties!). The research tells the colourful story of one street in the last 170 years, that is also story of London as a whole.
Amir Dotan is a life-long history buff, who as a hobby researches the history of Stoke Newington in North-East London, where he has lived since 2002. He organises local history events and shares his research findings online at www.Twitter.com/HistoryOfStokey. When he isn't trawling through archives and history books Amir designs financial applications in the City.
Tales from 3D printing adventures
An introduction to life with 3D printers. Hannah show you some exciting current applications in different industries and how difficult printers can actually be behind the hype. She will share tips, tricks, facts and fails she has picked up along the way.
Hannah Cameron is a maker by trade and 3D printing specialist. She has her own printer named Extrudy Mcstrudeface and uses him to anthropomorphize her printing adventures.
Wtf is Quantum Physics? (And why should you care?)
Quantum is an often used but little understood word. It seems almost science fiction, however it is anything but. This presentation will outline some simple real-world truths about quantum physics to demystify the topic for you and show you how it is used in technology today, cutting-edge research and in nature all the time.
Shaun Geaney is currently studying for his doctorate in metrological quantum physics at the National Physical Laboratory. His work involves building a novel microscope that uses microwave radiation to detect and observe individual defects - the nature and cause of which is unknown - that exist in superconducting quantum bits (or "qubits") that are used in quantum computing.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. This year we are partnering with the Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds. More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. For more information about the Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:00||£6.00|
|19:00 - 22:00||£7.50|
231, Cambridge Heath Road, E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.