Comedian Lee Hurst's re-established Backyard Bar in Bethnal Green showcases pro acts and the rising stars of comedy. This London comedy club attracted 300 people for the opening show and promises big things to come. Connected to a Travelodge and known for its friendly, relaxed atmosphere visitorscan…
Nerd Nite London - February 2019
- No reviews.
- Backyard Bar & Comedy Club
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along.
Address: the Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL
Details: Wednesday, February 20th
Tickets: Early nerd tickets £6, general admission £7.50.
Doors open: 6.30pm, Event starts: 7.30pm
Nerd Nite London aims to teach you details about subjects which you didn’t even know you were curious about, while you drink beer and learn things you didn’t know you didn’t know. This month, we'll learn about dragons, flesh eating diseases and brains on drugs.
This is your brain (scientist) on drugs
Neuroscientists go to great lengths to understand their beloved object of study, the brain. This usually means marathon experiments in the lab working on animals or petri dishes, but sometimes it can also involve a little "self-experimentation." Grace will talk about historical examples of scientists who used their own experiences with hallucinogens to further their understanding of the brain, and the extent to which this practice has led to scientifically sound results.
Grace Lindsay (@neurograce) got her PhD in computational neuroscience from Columbia University and will soon be starting a postdoctoral fellowship at University College London. She is also currently writing a book about all the fascinating ways that mathematics has helped us understand the brain. Yes, that's right---mathematics, not drugs.
The Funny Side of the Flesh Eating Disease
When thinking of fun diseases, the bacteria that cause flesh-eating disease may not top your list. However, there is more to these vicious little bacteria than you might first expect, from causing a variety of embarrassing diseases to being touted as a miracle cure, and even providing names to no less than four heavy metal bands. Faz will tell you some of the weird stories associated with this bacteria, and hopefully, you too will see the funny side of the flesh-eating disease.
Faraz Alam (@DefectiveBrayne) studied the Flesh Eating Disease during his Ph.D, where he made it glow in the dark. While he has moved on to the world of scientific publishing and research integrity, he hasn’t been able to shake off his fascination with the disease and the bacterium that causes it.
Dragons and Warfare
Is there a link between draconic imagery and how weaponry has evolved? To answer that we'll delve through language, the first firearms and journey across the world. Along the way, get ready to hear some of the dumbest ideas and stories in human history.
Kai Lawrence is a geek in nerd's clothing. Usually he's working towards his Bachelor's in Electronic and Information Engineering at Imperial College London. His accumulated knowledge on dragons, experimental genetics and weaponry is definitely NOT part of his 24 year plan for world domination.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. This year we are partnering with the Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds. More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. For more information about the Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:00||£6.00|
|19:00 - 22:00||£7.50|
|Disability discount||19:30 - 22:30||£5.00|
231 Cambridge Heath Road E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.