The Backyard Comedy Club in Bethnal Green is a great night out with some of the top comics from around the world! The club's Thursday night show features upcoming comedians and usually one or two special guests who are kept secret until the evening of the show, while it's Friday and Saturday shows…
Nerd Nite London- February 2018: Love Hurts
- Backyard Comedy Club
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along.
Address: the Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL
Details: Wednesday February 21st
Tickets: Early nerd tickets £6, general admission £7.50.
Doors open: 6.30pm, event starts: 7.30pm
Screw V-day. There’s only one day in February that matters, and that’s Nerd Nite London’s Valentine’s day special. This month we gather to celebrate the pain, misery and heartbreak of being in love, and the lengths that people are willing to go for it. Be there, and be square.
Yes, you really can die of a broken heart.
Love is the most powerful emotion in human existence. If you are one of the lucky ones to find your ‘soulmate’ in life, there may be an ultimate price to pay at the end of this beautiful journey. In this talk Nelson will show you some data and case studies to show that you can love someone too much.
Nelson Chong is a lecturer, a scientist and a practising romantic. He’s a sucker for rom-coms and thinks there is someone for everyone in this world. He also thinks the heart is the most important organ in the body and dabbles in how it works and what happens to our body when it breaks.
The Stonewall Riots: How love kickstarted a revolution
A brief history of the Stonewall Riots, how and why they happened, how they sparked a movement, and the unsung and unknown heroes that started it.
This talk will explore the context of the riots, the oppression against LGBT people and the riots and social upheavals that happened before and after the riots.
Lola Phoenix is an agender identified LGBT activist, working in various capacities for a better world for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people since the age of 12. Lola volunteers for a range of organisations including Action for Trans Health and Stonewall Housing.
Love, lust and betrayal in mythology
From ancient Greece to Celtic Ireland, come on a journey through world mythology to explore one of the most enduring themes within the human narrative. Looking at these ancient stories we will explore love’s potential to make us, but, more often than not to break us. In these stories it rarely ends happily ever after.
Lonan Jenkins is a storyteller and writer with the Embers Collective. He is fascinated by the gritty, dark themes of world mythology, particularly the Celtic and Norse stories. Love and its destructive nature is potentially the darkest and grittiest of them all.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. This year we are partnering with the Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds. More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. For more information about the Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:00||£6.00|
|19:00 - 22:00||£7.50|
231, Cambridge Heath Road, E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
Getting thereCitymapper Google Maps
Nerd Nite London
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.