Comedian Lee Hurst's re-established Backyard Bar in Bethnal Green showcases pro acts and the rising stars of comedy. This London comedy club attracted 300 people for the opening show and promises big things to come. Connected to a Travelodge and known for its friendly, relaxed atmosphere visitorscan…
Nerd Nite London-April 2018
- Backyard Bar & Comedy Club
Nerd Nite London is a monthly event where three speakers give 18-21 minute fun-yet-informative talks across all disciplines, while the audience drinks along.
Address: the Backyard Comedy Club, 231 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 0EL
Details: Wednesday april 18th
Tickets: Early nerd tickets £6, general admission £7.50.
Doors open: 6.30pm, event starts: 7.30pm
Nerd Nite London aims to teach you details about subjects which you didn’t even know you were curious about, while you drink beer and learn things you didn’t know you didn’t know. This month we have whiskey, wildcats, dungeons, dragons, and an examination of what you say about yourself without speaking. Be there and be square.
How Whiskey could help prevent the UK's next big extinction
In this presentation Lucy will discuss the decline of the Scottish wildcat, and how whiskey distilleries with wildcat populations should be sponsoring them. She’ll be talking about the historical importance of the animal, as well as current conservation threats.
Luck Eckersley is a wild animal biologist and science communicator, currently working with the Royal Veterinary College.
will playing Dungeons and Dragons make me a murderer?
Steve Cross recently started playing Dungeons and Dragons for the first time since he was an impulse-obsessed unpleasant teenager. Will playing make him discover unpleasant things about himself? Ever since the 1980s people have believed that rolling dice and casting spells makes us into satanists, killers and outcasts. But is it true?
Steve Cross is a comedian and professional troublemaker. His job is to make every expert in the world hilarious through projects like Bright Club, Science Showoff and The Over-Analyser's Book Club. He hosts niche comedy nights across the UK, and can be heard every week on the wildly-inappropriate sword and sorcery podcast Chaotic Adequate. He’s spoken previously at Nerd Nite about naked mole rats., and lives at www.clevermakefunny.com
If your shoes are faded, you probably like chat shows: How to read anyone in five minutes
What are people telling you about themselves before they say a single thing? Personality is implicitly reflected in the cues we communicate, consciously and subconsciously, to the world. For example, people can guess, to an 80% accuracy, if someone is an extravert from seeing a picture of their face for 100ms. By connecting these cues to dispositional behaviours, you can read a person's character from their gestures, clothing, tastes, and so on, and use this to make inferences about how they'll act in business and in pleasure.
Patrick Fagan is a consumer psychology lecturer, author and practitioner with nine years’experience helping businesses like Diageo, eBay and Vodafone practically apply psychology science. He has run and published research on personality - for example, finding that Machiavellian people are more likely to vote Trump, that personal assistants are more conscientious and emotionally stable than the general population, or that open people prefer more complex music. Patrick asks that you call him Pat, because research shows that shorter names are seen as more popular and warm.
All proceeds from Nerd Nite London go to charity. This year we are partnering with the Shine Trust to help foster a new generation of nerds. More information about Nerd Nite London can be found by following us on Twitter @nerdnitelondon, liking us on Facebook or visiting www.london.nerdnite.com. For more information about the Shine Trust visit www.shinetrust.org.uk
Early nerd (limited availability)
|19:00 - 22:00||£6.00|
|19:00 - 22:00||£7.50|
231 Cambridge Heath Road E2 0EL
Bethnal Green (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.